Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

SIM card used in the U.K does not work in USA

[ Edited ]

Greetings;

I recently went to the U.K without a SIM card in my 8830, spoke with Verizon and got it unlocked.  Bought a Vodaphone SIM card and used it for two months no problem.

My issue now is after returning to the USA I cannot change the "Network Selection Mode" from Automatic to Manual UNLESS I set the "Network Mode" to GSM.  After doing this of course I never find any networks because we don't use GSM here.  

The phone works fine on the Verizon network but I would like to get VM or texts from my UK number with the Vodaphone SIM installed.

Verizon who is my provider has an arrangement with Vodaphone but it sounds to me like a BlackBerry issue ??

Any help would be appreciated !

Dave

Message Edited by moots on 02-23-2009 06:58 PM
Message Edited by moots on 02-23-2009 06:59 PM
Contributor
My Device: 9700 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: SIM card used in the U.K does not work in USA

I believe this is the design. It allows you to use a foreign SIM card when roaming out of North America but will always lock to the carriers or partner CDMA network if in range.

Bell Canada unlocks their devices and I have a UK sim card that I always use when travelling back to the UK but it won't work when I'm in Canada (Device will only connect to Bell).

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Hi Moots, you can't, if the device detect the Cdma Network, only work in Cdma, and the phone is not multi-network, or cdma or gsm, but not both at the same time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor

Hi Moots, you can't, if the device detect the Cdma Network, only work in Cdma, and the phone is not multi-network, or cdma or gsm, but not both at the same time.

CDMA is fine but the problem is it will ONLY find the Verizon network and not allow me to manually select ATT for instance, this would allow me to ROAM for my UK SIM.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe this is the design. It allows you to use a foreign SIM card when roaming out of North America but will always lock to the carriers or partner CDMA network if in range.

Bell Canada unlocks their devices and I have a UK sim card that I always use when travelling back to the UK but it won't work when I'm in Canada (Device will only connect to Bell).

Your answer seems to make the most sense - interesting that unlocking for foreign access is fine but they still restrict domestic access.  Man our regulatory environment in this Country continues to limit consumer choice.

Maybe someone else knows a workaround or I have to find a phone that uses the provider that would work form me.

thanks!

Dave

Message Edited by moots on 02-24-2009 08:59 AM