Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

SIM not allowed

My BB9000 works fine for the most part, but sometimes I get a "SIM not allowed" on the screen and my signal strength meter says "SOS" (meaning I cannot make or recieve calls). This somewhat annoying as I usually have to re-boot the phone to get it back to normal.

1. Why does this happen?

2. Is there a setting that I can switch in the phone that will prevent this from happening?

3. Is there another way to reset this without having to re-boot?

Thanks for all your help.

Pete

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: SIM not allowed

Hi Pete you need to change the sim card, go to your carrier store and change for a new sim card.

To reboot the device you can press at the same time the ALT key, the right aA key, and the DEL key 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the fast reply!

So if I change the SIM card, will that wipe out my other information (contacts, calender, etc). Everything is backed up to my Outlook, so when I sync for the first time with a new SIM, I should probably let my computer override my phone device, is that correct?

Thanks

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

No, nothing, the sim card is not involved in the synchronization process
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

That is exactly what I am having to do.  The only problem is that the nearest phone store for my carrier is about 120 miles away.  They are supposed to be expressing it to me.

Any idea what the cause of this is?  I woke up the other morning and my phone was in Sim Not Allowed, did all the resets and battery pulls, called my carrier and did them again for Level I support, and then again for the Level 2 support guys.

I get two messages, "Sim Not Allowed 3" and "Sim Rejected".  My wife has had the same problem with here phone, both are BB 9700 Bold.  I'm running 5.0 and she is still on the older software.  She has gotten the "Sim Not Allowed" a few times, but all she has done to correct it is a battery pull.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the wireless carrier where we are.  It is an unknow to me - Plateau Wireless.  Sometimes we connect to AT&T, sometimes it is T-Mobile. 

Just rambling... But I would like to know what causes a sim card to go bad.

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I did as suggested, getting a new sim card.  Still no deal. 

Now I am getting "Initialization Failed", instead of "Sim Not Allowed".

The BB techs at T-Mobile said that I need to replace my phone. 

Any idea of the cause?  That way I won't do "that" again.

Thanks

John

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

To be honest the only way to deal with this problem seems to be don't depend on a Blackberry.

I have had 3 replacement SIMs plus two phones and the problem has occurred with every one. Either there is a design/production fault in the SIMs or the phones, either of which I am prepared to accept is unlikely, or there is a fault in the software.

I was told by various staff members of Orange ( my supplier) that the problems I reported were unusual - I shall correct them!

The only extenuating circumstance I can find is that I live, travel and work in an area where the Orange signal is very variable , sometimes non existent. Is there some sequence in the software program that sees these fluctuations as a threat and shuts down the phone.

I am giving up - off to get a i-phone!!

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

I had the same thing just this morning and I panicked when I read these messages, but I just did the good old turning it off and on again and that seemed to work!

My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

SIM not allowed

my phones saying sim not allowed ive tryed taken my sim out and rebooting my phone but it still wont work 

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone uk

hello i have a Bold 9900 running on 5.0

yesterday it was performing very slow so i tried to reboot it using QuickPull. it got an error so i just did 

the usual battery pull. after doing such, my bb just got "Sim Not Allowed:3"

I can send/receive texts and calls but I cant use my wifi and bbm.

is there a way to fix it? I hope you could reply. thank you Smiley Very Happy