Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: O2

*****SIMPLE ANSWER NEEDED*****

Why does my Torch 9800 play movie files with lag ie the action on screen and lip sync of the actors is slower than the movie itself?

I have tried turning off connections, data roaming, etc etc, I have used correct file formats as per the official website of what it says will work

IT DOES NOT WORK

Just someone simply tell me WHY and how i can sort it

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: *****SIMPLE ANSWER NEEDED*****

I think it is because your Torch spends too much CPU resizing the video.
I suggest you re-encode your video to a definition that matches the screen definition of your Torch (for 9800/9810 it is 480x360)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Thanku for that - I've tried using handbrake to do this but I don't understand what I'm doing :-( if I use the blackberry desktop software and select sync movies would that convert the files for me and add them to my torch 9800 So I won't have this problem no more? I have a 32Gb sandisk micro sd card for my torch of which there is 36 Movies on it some avi files some MP4 and m4v files all of which play 100% on my Mac and also played 100% on my iphones when I had one?
Guru I

I prefer encoding videos myself rather than have the Desktop software to the sync for me. So I cannot comment on how the "sync movies" feature works.

About the video codecs, if you have m4v files indeed you will need to reencode them. That format is designed primarily for iPhone & iPad devices.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Thanks for this - can i ask

If i swapped in my Torch 9800 for a new Bold 9900 being that the bold is newer and faster than my torch would i still have these issues with watching movies on my phone?

Do i take it that the faster the processor of the phone the quicker and better watching a movie on my phone would be? Is my Torch too slow to process my movie files?

Guru I

here are facts :
1 the 9900 has several CPUs, that all faster than the unique CPU of the 9800
2 the 9900 screen is physically smaller than the 9800 screen (but same definition : 480x360)
3 the 9900 has OS7, the 9800 has OS6.
4 OS7 can read more video & audio codecs than OS6

so all in all, the 9900 will read more types of videos, and more easily.

for a given set of codecs, a faster CPU will :
- be faster when you navigate across the video
- has fewer chance of having synchronization issues between audio & video

hope this helps.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks bro

In a nutshell unless I can swap my torch 9800 in for a bold 9900 then I'm gonna have to wait 24 months for my next upgrade :-(

Course by then there would be several more bolds and of course torches released in that time which will superseed the 9900 :-) I will get one of those
Guru I

Find a tutorial about handbrake, and you'll see your Torch is already very good. Trust me, I watch vids on my Storm 2 9520...

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I find divx to work well and dont resize it unless I dont want to see the wide format I just zoon in on the video in the player.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V