Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9310
My Carrier: Straight Talk

SMS Error 104 How can I fix it?

I have a BB Curve 9310 through Straight Talk. Every time I try to send a text message that is longer than 160 characters I get this: SMS Error 104. Is there any way to fix this? It happens every time even to different contacts. Is there some settings somewhere I need to change? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: SMS Error 104 How can I fix it?

Hello,

While I don't find that specific error listed in the public KBs, it sounds like you are attempting to send an SMS that is longer than your carrier allows. All carriers restrict the length of individual SMS messages, and some do not allow any automatic splitting of the message into multiples (so that each can be below the limit).

I recommend you contact your mobile service provider for formal support with this voice-level service, and to find out what their specific restrictions concerning this might be.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9310
My Carrier: Straight Talk

Thank you for your response. The problem started when I switched to a BB. Been with same carrier for 2 yrs and never had this problem with other phones just the BB. Its like I had subscribed for text message alerts for weather, molotterty, schools etc. And since I switched to a BB I can't get them anymore. Even unsubscribed and redid everything. Also checked blocked messages and still can't. Any suggestions there? Thanks again!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well now I'm totally confused. In your first post, you talked only about SENDING SMS messages. Now you are talking only about RECEIVING SMS messages.

Can you perhaps clarify which problem you are having? Or maybe it's both? In any event, SMS is a voice-level service...it has nothing to do with any BB-proprietary services, and is totally managed by your carrier. Since you've switched devices, maybe your carrier hasn't properly shifted all of your services over?

In any event, please clarify what your issues are, as your two posts are reporting completely different symptoms.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................