Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Sprint

SMS Error 97; Permanent Error

I've seen a few of these threads so far, but I can't find my exact problem, so here goes:

I JUST started having this problem a day or two ago.  When I send a text, it doesn't bother to think about it; it just gives me the "SMS Error 97 Permanent error" thing.  Then, if anyone sends me a text during this time, the same text will be received on my phone over and over and over.  Took me a bit to notice one constant: this ONLY happens in my apartment and (so far that I can tell) the surrounding complex.  When I leave and go somewhere else, the texting is fixed once more.

So, to shorten this:

- When in my apartment, I cannot send texts.

- If a text is sent to me when out of the apartment, then when I go back to the apartment, the text is sent to me over and over regardless of the fact that the sender had only sent it once.

- When I go someplace else, everything seems to be okay (though just leaving the apartment and walking away from the building does not seem to help).

The only thing I've done so far is take it to the phone shop, and they gave me another Curve with the new interface, but it has changed nothing.  My apartment is still doing wacky things to this phone, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Koodoo Mobile

Re: SMS Error 97; Permanent Error

Appears to be a reception problem. Do you receive phone calls on your phone fine? In addition, do you have much reception in your apartment?
Respectfully,
Hollywood Ave
New Contributor

I do receive phone calls, but they're often dropped in the middle. You can see the reception bars wavering around when it's thinking. My battery was also draining faster than it should have, so I'm assuming the constant searching is at fault.

Anyway, the reception problem has carried over from a previous phone, though it never effects any of my wife's phones. I don't know if it's just my number or something else. Still, even over the reception problem, I've been able to get texts out since I got the blackberry earlier this year. This new problem came out of nowhere, and I can't figure out why the reception would suddenly get so much worse that it wouldn't allow texts to get out (especially since calls are working the same way they always have).
Contributor

Sometimes what happens is that certain cellular devices have stronger reception due to the strength of the device's antenna. The actual service provider is not always at fault. This is due to the differentiated technology advancements through each device company. What could be the issue is that your new Blackberry has a better antenna than your old phone, however the reception within the buiding is not strong enough (or is flucuating too frequently) to send out text messages, although it is strong enough to temporarily receive a phone call.
Respectfully,
Hollywood Ave
New Contributor

Fair enough. What I don't get is why I've been able to text up 'till now. The calls weren't perfect, but I could usually get my texts out pretty easily, and if there were any problems, I could walk outside the building. Now, being in or out of the building completely blocks all ability to text. I'm trying to figure out what has suddenly changed, but I really don't get it. Something around here had to have changed for me to no longer be able to use my texting ability.
Contributor

What you could do is call you service provider and get a new blackberry, see if its just a faulty phone.

Another possible solution is to try a Hard Pull. (pull the battery out and put it back in) This causes the device systemm to reboot.

Click accept solution or "like" if any of these posts have helped. 

Respectfully,
Hollywood Ave
New Contributor

I did get a new phone; my trip to the phone store pretty much gave me a new phone with the new interface, which they thought would help. I've also pulled the battery numerous times and tried other solutions that I've found on here that involve the SMS Error 97. Nothing has fixed the problem as of yet.
My Device: Bold9930

I have the same exactly problem on my Bold 9930 also from Sprint.

The SMS service practically goes crazy when I am at home. I can’t send texts (error code 97) and receive the same texts multiple times.  I use BBM or WhatsApp instead to send texts.

The sprint service center has tried everything possible to fix the device without any success.

Their conclusion is that the problem is result from the coverage area.

Regarding the call quality issue, I had an improvement after installing an Airave antenna provided to me at no cost by Sprint; but the problems with SMS are continuous.

New Contributor

Well, good to know I'm not alone, at least. My local store tried to fix it, but to no avail. I'm giving them another week (which is already up, so I'll be going soon) because they told me that Sprint is having some sorta nation wide texting problem. I'm HOPING that is the case, because if we're having the same problem, then it seems like it's not going to get fixed. I'm wondering if I should try to get a new number all together, because I just can't imagine why this would suddenly stop working when it had been working just fine.

I had to replace my balckberryy with a refurbished one and as soon as I got the refurbished one home I started getting the error message (error 97) when sending text from home.   My wife has the the exact same blackberry model and same provider and she is not having this problem. Plus, I did not have this problem with my other balckberry.  texting is working for my wife and works for me away from the house but cannot send a text.  How was your problem  resolved?  If it is an antenna issue in the new phone, will that be the same problem with a replacement? Thanks!