Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: SMS Inbox Error - Uncaught exception: java.lang.IndexOutofBoundsException Help!!!

I used to get that on my other Torch all the time! I bought mine from Best Buy with the monthly plan (best investment ever!!)  I went into Best Buy got a new Torch this Saturday. I have not seen that on my new Torch so far--I am really hoping it doesn't do it again either!

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: SMS Inbox Error - Uncaught exception: java.lang.IndexOutofBoundsException Help!!!

emjaytapper wrote:

I am getting the exact same error in the exact same application. It just started last night when I was texting someone during the football game. tried reinstalling the OS Update but did not work. I am trying to delete all my SMS messages and hope that clears it, but I have not found a way to delete the SMS messages without actually going into the SMS app, something I cannot do because of the error.

How can I clear all SMS history without going into the application? I tried renaming the DB file on the device and restarted more than once and cannot get rid of this error.

PLAN A: View SMS' and work with them as you wish (but not using a separate email icon):

There is a workaround for being unable to use the SMS Inbox all by itself:

Go into the regular Inbox and bring up the Options menu, there.

The Messages options menu shows up.  The second choice should be Inbox Management.

There, you'll see your regular BIS or BES email profiles but the bottom choice should be "Other Message Types". 

Check off the "Text Messages" option.  Go back into your Inbox and now they're all combined.

Now - if you ONLY want JUST SMS/Text messages then use ALT-S to show them. You can manipulate JUST SMS' this way including the normally dangerous "Delete Prior".   Hit ESC to back into "all Emails".

PLAN B:  There is a SECOND way to clear "Just SMS" from your device and that is to use the Desktop Manager v6.  Connect your device - ideally using a cable - and then bring up DM6. 

- Under the DEVICE pulldown menu there is an option to delete data.

- You'll get a pop-up window asking which data. Don't pick all.  Choose Specific Data.

- Scroll down until you see what you want to delete.  Optionally you can make a backup before you try this so feel free to experiement.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 - OS ver 6.0.0.141 (bnd 278)

PLAN A: View SMS' and work with them as you wish (but not using a separate email icon):

There is a workaround for being unable to use the SMS Inbox all by itself:

Go into the regular Inbox and bring up the Options menu, there.

The Messages options menu shows up.  The second choice should be Inbox Management.

There, you'll see your regular BIS or BES email profiles but the bottom choice should be "Other Message Types". 

Check off the "Text Messages" option.  Go back into your Inbox and now they're all combined.

Now - if you ONLY want JUST SMS/Text messages then use ALT-S to show them. You can manipulate JUST SMS' this way including the normally dangerous "Delete Prior".   Hit ESC to back into "all Emails".

PLAN B:  There is a SECOND way to clear "Just SMS" from your device and that is to use the Desktop Manager v6.  Connect your device - ideally using a cable - and then bring up DM6. 

- Under the DEVICE pulldown menu there is an option to delete data.

- You'll get a pop-up window asking which data. Don't pick all.  Choose Specific Data.

- Scroll down until you see what you want to delete.  Optionally you can make a backup before you try this so feel free to experiement.

Nice, I will give that a try. I originally thought that the error may have been a result of an errant/corrupt message, but I am not so sure as you cannot bring the Text Message app up at all without the error. I did go into the device through Windows Explorer to see if I could delete them at the file level, and then rename the .db file to see if a new one was created by the application. I am not so sure that this is just the result of a corrupt message at this point, but I will wait a week before running the upgrade again. If I start getting the same error after installing the update, then I can be pretty sure the problem is related to the upgrade.

I tried to uninstall through Desktop Manager, but it is a "required" application you cannot remove then reinstall.

My Device: Torch

Only had my phone 2 weeks n i'm getting this error now.  Can't read or send texts. 

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi all, as promised, I requested further assistance on this and the response I got was that they believe that we are likely dealing with a corrupted data file.

The suggested solution was to backup your device using the BlackBerry Desktop Software, then perform a handheld wipe to remove all of the data off the device (a.k.a. restore the handheld to factory condition).  Once you have done this, check to ensure that it works correctly before restoring your data.

Let me know how things turn out.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Torch 9800

I had the same problem... I opened my messages from the top bar (between the ring tone setup and search) .. and after that it started working fine again.... hope it doesnt come back up, since I dont have warranty

My Device: Not Specified

Had the same issue..OS 6 Seems to be an issue with contacts & synchronization, or multi syncs from different email contacts. Backup phone with BB desktop software, then Delete address book & resync or reload an earlier backup.

My Device: Blackberry torch 9800

I am also getting the same error while opening the SMS with my Blackberry torch 9800. Could you please mention as steps whatever you suggested in your message?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Parimal Kumar

RFQ
New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Was Telus now Bell

Tried that but no luck for me

RFQ
New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Was Telus now Bell

Tried that too but no luck....guess have to do the system wipe.  Seems like a common problem hope they get it fixed soon.