Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: SMS Inbox Error - Uncaught exception: java.lang.IndexOutofBoundsException Help!!!

SOLUTION: use BB desktop software -> delete data -> select SMS... it will backup the SMS, then delete on the device... this works with minimal disruption Smiley Happy

My Device: Torch 9800

Re: SMS Inbox Error - Uncaught exception: java.lang.IndexOutofBoundsException Help!!!

This worked fine for me.   I had the same problem and now it's working like new. 
Thanks for the post.

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTIONNN!!!

What i did after i was having this problem was

1. i connected my BB t my comp

2. I went to DEVICE and clicked on DELETE DATA

3. I chose slect data and select my SMS MESSAGES and my TEXT MESSAGES

4. They dleted and my inbox is empty but it opens and its fineee  Smiley Happy

hope it helpss 

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Krypto,

I was just about to go run the BB Desktop & try the delete of the SMS db, and I read a work-around for displaying txt in the messages folder (with all email), so I tried that first as a work-around and sent an SMS to my wife and then went back out to the SMS folder and it actually fixed this java error! I did not have to delete the SMS db, nor did I have to reinstall. I was then able to go back into the mailbox options and remove the SMS from the inbox and still no problems.

BB TORCH 9800 / OS 6.0.0.246 at time of this post / WiFi Active

John The Mortgage Guy
BB TORCH 9800 / OS 6.0.0.246 at time of this post / WiFi Active
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Excellent... Glad to see everyone is getting this resolved on way or another! Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Make that four of us. as of Mon. AM 1/17/2011  Only causes trouble if you touch the Text messaging icon on home screen....text can be reached thru the contact list or notification icon that comes up when you receive??? 6.0 bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105)  Reloadin OS did nothing for me......

My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: att

I've had my torch for a month and glad that I chose it over the iphone.  Anyway, I had this same problem today,  I was slightly freaking out at first, but then I started reading the boards and realized that I could still receive new txt msgs and get to them through alternate ways such as the contacts list.  I also read the post which inicated that you could delete all the SMS data via the BB desktop manager on your pc.  Since I was at work and it would be 5 gueling hours before I could get home, I figured why not manually delete my SMS messages. Since I could pinpoint which message I received when I first noticed the problem, I deleted it first (I accessed it thought my contact lists). As soon as I deleted it, Shazam! Problem fixed.  Hope this helps.

My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: att

PLAN A: View SMS' and work with them as you wish (but not using a separate email icon):

There is a workaround for being unable to use the SMS Inbox all by itself:

Go into the regular Inbox and bring up the Options menu, there.

The Messages options menu shows up.  The second choice should be Inbox Management.

There, you'll see your regular BIS or BES email profiles but the bottom choice should be "Other Message Types". 

Check off the "Text Messages" option.  Go back into your Inbox and now they're all combined.

Follow Plan A as above. Next go your text mesgaes thru the inbox and delete text messages you were sending about the time the error first occured. These messages are usually to multiple address and does not display normally...Once you do then you can go back and use your text message icon normally..It worked for me.

My Device: Not Specified

i didn't bother with the software i did as follows and it cleared within seconds

click on messages 

open options

inbox management

include text messages

save

go into messages again

find the last message you got before it went wrong delete the whole of that history

then it should all be ok

My Device: Not Specified

HEY  THERE!

I had the same problem, at first, i went again to my celphone provider, an got a new one for free, they replaced it because they coulndt fix it!.. then, in my new phone started having the same problem. So, This is what i did in order to fix it , is easy as  1 2 3 .

1rst. YOU MUST DO BACKUP OF ALL YOUR CONTACTS! adress Book and bbm contacts.

2nd. open the tray,  go to options - then Security - Then Security WIPE- Make Sure you have the box with a check mark where it says "Emails,Contacts,etc."

3rd. TYPE BLACKBERRY to confirm wipe , then Click on WIPE DATA!

now you just have to wait about 20 mins!

YOU ARE WELCOME!

SALUDOS DESDE HONDURAS!