Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

SMS Message Send Fail Error: MAJOR ISSUE

I use texting more than any other feature on the smartphone(yes, I'm a teenager). That aside, it started acting odd one night and I decided to take the battery out to do a reset, but that failed. After a few hours of mindless failed troubleshooting, it finally started rubbing smoothly except for one huge thing: it never, ever sends messages. I can RECIEVE them, as well as have full calling functionalities, but it won't for the life of me send a single text message, both SMS and MMS. It gives me the following error name each time, and never even goes into a pending state, it always just defaults to it: UNASSIGNED NUMBER. I've tried leaving it off and without the battery inside for a good thre days and nothing. I also tried sending myself messages and resending them over and over, but to no gain at all. Nobody knows what to do, I can't find anything about it in the phone, and I can't even find anything on the site. My parents(whom owned said Blackberry before me) had no idea whatsoever what to do. Sadly, due to my area, I can't take it to any T-Mobile stores. The nearest one is a good hour away. The thing is, I can't send messages to ANYONE. So it's not like this just affects sending to one or two people. it's my whole phonebook. But if I'm getting the message, that means there's a legitimate error that the phone's been programmed to inform me of in case of it's comeupance, which ALSO inevitabley means that there's got to bea solution to it, whether or not that solution involves fixing some opions or just replacing the damned thing. I've never had a single problem with the phone either until this reared it's ugly head. If anyone knows at all what I should or can do, or even if you have an inkling of some way to make a fix, please tell me. Thank you all in advance!

Morgan

New Contributor

Re: SMS Message Send Fail Error: MAJOR ISSUE

I'd check with T-Mobile Support, I saw this reply on a thread on another web site... but it may give you an idea....

1) Be sure the message center number (options / SMS) is programmed in.  (Check with T-Mobile Support for the right one)

2) Change 'Network to send over' (options / SMS) from GPRS to GSM.

Again... saw it on another thread... and I'd check with T-Mobile support before you make any changes... but these are some things to check.

Thanks a lot for your input! I actually vaguely remember seeing something in the options that showed GPRS as the selected option. When I get access to my phone again, I'll DEFINITELY go and try to change that. Thanks a lot again, and just in case, please keep sending responses people! I want to make sure I have all the means of fixing my problem as possible
Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Hi..2 years on and I've found this post - was there ever a fix for it?

I just got a Bold last week, and already I'm having this trouble. It's happening with foreign numbers. I can write a new SMS but I can't reply to one - it comes up with UNASSIGNED NUMBER.

I have tried switching between packet/circuit sending and with combinations of 7-bit/UCS2 data coding - nothing will get the **bleep** message to send - any ideas? - this is very frustrating and not good enough when my previous (nokia) phone would do it no problem.

Thanks! Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520 v5.0.0.900 (Bundle 1626, Platform 5.2.0.96)

This is occuring peridocally on my Curve.......if anyone has any ideas of the fix let me know (or what causes). I.E. I can call the person/text them later but during a certain time I get the message "Unassigned number".

My Carrier: T-Mobile

When I had messaging open, I went into Options the default for "Network to Send Over" seems to be "Packet Switched" only. I switched to "Circuit Switched Preferred" and it began allowing outbound messages. Must have been due to the upgrade to the 6.0 version as it worked fine before and I hadn't changed anything. It's a T-Mobile phone, so not sure if other providers have the same needs or not.

New Contributor

My fix seems to be just the opposite of what you stated. Under Options I  have menu name "SMS TEXT". "For Network to Send Over" I have 4 Options: 

1. Circuit Switched

2. Circuit Switched Preferred,

3. Packet Switched Preferred

4. Packet Switched 

I Changed it from Circuit Switched Preferred to "Packet Switched Preferred"! Circuit Switched is OLD School but more reliable based on my research!  I.E.

Circuit Switched is voice network (GSM, CDMA)

Packet Switched is Data network (EDGE, UMTS, EVDO)

Thanks...for your advice thou!

Interesting. Then, I'm guessing that as long as you choose one of the middle two choices (the ones containing "Preferred") you'll be OK, as (from examing your description of Circuit-Switched vs Packet-Switched) the particular network you're connected to at the time (with GSM, GPRS, EDGE, etc) would determine whether it sends if you pick either the first or last choice. So, I'm betting that mine would have worked just as well if I'd switched to "Packet-Switched Preferred".

New Contributor

My Network Connection always has been EDGE haven't been out of the area to notice a difference
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

Hello:

I wanted to let you know that I had a Blackberry Bold 9900 and I tried to work on this problem, with a representative by phone and also at a T-Mobile store, and none of them could get to solve the problem. So they decide to schedule a replacement for my phone. I received a new Blackberry Bold 9900 and guess what? The problem persisted.

I am publishing this as a response to "habap" because I decided to check on my own and tried changing the "Packet Switched Preferred" selected on my phone to "Circuit Switch Preferred" and BOOM!, it did the trick. I tested resending my message and it went through, so this not only works on the Pearl but at least also on the Bold 9900, and it seems related to OS versions 6 and up.

Thank you very much for posting your solution!