Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

SMS and MMS Icon on Bottom Row Problems - Constantly Indicating Unread Message

Hey everyone,

version: 5.0.0.337

space available: 126.963MB

I currently upgraded to the new BlackBerry Curve 8530 after having the Curve 8330 for 2 years. For the past week I have had nothing but problems. I pulled the battery out 4 times over the past week, and now I am having some problems with the SMS and MMS Text icon. When my phone receives an SMS or MMS message I click on the icon and read the message, and either respond or do not respond. Then when I back out and go back to my home screen, the SMS and MMS icon still indicates that I have an unread message. There is NO SMS or MMS indicator icon at the top of my screen to alert me of how many messages there are, because there are no new/old unread messages. I tried pulling the battery out twice, and it corrects the problem for a little bit (maybe an hour) and then reverts right back to it's annoying ways.

Please help me out. I attached a photo to this discussion so hopefully it will make it easy for whomever is responding to fully understand what is going on.

Thank you!

Solutions: 6,377
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: SMS and MMS Icon on Bottom Row Problems - Constantly Indicating Unread Message

Tips for clearing that unread message... try them in order.

Try these options:
* Hard Reset the BlackBerry by holding ALT, CAP (right Shift key), and DEL (or with the BlackBerry powered ON, remove the battery and reinserting the battery)
* View Messages > Saved Messages
* View Messages > View Folders, check each folder (missed calls, SMS in and out boxes, MMS in and out boxes, Saved, browser, phone logs etc)
* Scroll to top of message folder, over the date heading, click or press menu to MARK PRIOR OPEN
* Change your theme and see if it persists, and change back to your desired theme. (Options > Theme > select.)
* Wipe and reload your OS.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: SMS and MMS Icon on Bottom Row Problems - Constantly Indicating Unread Message

Thank your for your reply.

The only problem is that it is NOT an unread message. Whenever I receive a text or MMS and read it, and then back out to the home screen the icon looks as if there is an unread message. Then after repeatedly clicking the icon and backing out to the home screen again, it goes back to normal. I tried looking for unread messages already, and nothing.

jsolow, ok. I understand.

And, you've also performed the remaining tips I offered above?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I did everything except for reloading the OS. How exactly would you go about doing that?

Try this first, Options > Themes, and change themes, then back to this original theme.

Any good?

If not...

First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I actually did the hard rest twice, once by clicking those 3 keys simultaneously, and then another one by pulling the battery out. It seems to stopped the annoying SMS alert.

I do appreciate all your help!