Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

SMS message alerts vs email alerts

Is there a way to program different alerts or notiifcation for SMS text messages versus emails.  I typically get about 100+ emails a day.  (Thus the reason why I wanted to get a Blackberry)  Before I had this device, I instructed my friends and family the easiest way to get my was by text messges.  However, with the Blackberry my text messages get "lost" in the emails.

I have missed too many messages from my wife, so I could use some help.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: SMS message alerts vs email alerts

you can separate them from your email icon:

Messages>Menu>options> General Options>SMS and Email Inboxes>Separate and then save

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Developer
My Device: Curve 8330

Also, in Profiles -> Advanved -> Menu -> Edit you can change the notification options for email, SMS, MMS, and Phone to have different notifications so that when your SMS text comes in it sounds different from when an email comes in.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: 9850 Torch
My Carrier: Sprint

To add on to Karl's instructions, here are some step by step instructions (with pics):

How do I edit my notification tones (profiles)?

If you find a post here helpful, please consider giving the poster some Kudos
New Contributor

Feeling a bit blonde & a new bberry 8120 user. Can I change the sms alert from 1 "bong" to a song or different alert altogether??? Thanks
Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Just click on your profile icon and scroll down and select "advanced". Then click the profile you want to edit, usually loud, then you will see a whole list of things you can edit the tome for. Select sms text. Then you can adjust the tune. Just remember to change both the settings for in holster and out of holster. Hope this helps you out.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
New Contributor

Thanks for your tip. As it happens I was playing around with my phone & found it out by mistake really. Isn't that always the way!!Smiley Very Happy
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8320

Ah, thank you. I was wondering the same thing.
New Contributor

I separated my emails and SMS today, but now I'm confused about how to get to the SMS messages.  My "messages" icon takes me into my emails.  I don't really care about that, considering there are separate icons for my email accounts.  But, I can't figure out how to display just all the text messages.  I can see that you can get it to display either outgoing or incoming text message folders, but can you not get it to show all SMS together, and to be the main thing that opens when you click "messages"?  Argh. 

New Contributor

Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I moved the SMS and MS out of the application folder onto the main screen, and I hid that other stupid function.  Yay!