Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Screen and buttons stopped working.

Hi All,

My Blackberry stopped working today - strange as usually very reliable. Problems: I can no longer used the screen - it high lights the apps but doesn't open them when I press, none of the buttons work. And It keeps turning its self off.  It still receives calls but you can pick up.

Weird - up until this morning it was working fine, but now nothing works at all. 

What's really strange it the screen is still touch sensitive but not working when you click. Also the screen lock has stopped working. Basically everything is bolloxed 

Any suggestions???

Probably knackered....?

Thanks

Tim 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Screen and buttons stopped working.

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

Has it gotten wet or even moist in a bathroom during a hot steamy shower?

Try this first off:  With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Odd you should mention the shower....left it on the bathroom window this AM..lots of steam.

I've tried to reboot by taking the battery out but no joy...

Have you heard of this problem related to steam/dam before??

Thanks for the reply.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yep, it's pretty common,

Do this NOW. Remove the battery for AT LEAST 3 days, and place the device in a bag of dry uncooked rice. It will soak the moisture out.

An alternative to the rice, is leave the device with the battery removed, sitting at 3 days on top of a  heat emitting electronic device, like a cable converter box, stereo amp, something with the dry heat.

The key to recovery is the several days withOUT putting the battery in to check it.

Remember, electricity + water = not good.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: ATT

Mason,

Did You Try The Rice Trick And Did It Work?

My Storms Been Doin The Same Thing For About A Week Now And Its Extremely Annoying! I Dont Recall Mine Gettin Any Moisture In It But Its Gotta Be Something...

Thanks,

Crandall_19

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500
My Carrier: vodafone

my storm hadn't got wet, but the screen and buttons froze.  This re-boot solution solved the problem though - thanks.

Moook

New Contributor
My Device: storm
My Carrier: verizon

Hi,

Same thing happened to me today. I drop a cup of tea on it!!! Any fast solution to repair my Blackberry?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

leilou wrote:

Hi,

Same thing happened to me today. I drop a cup of tea on it!!! Any fast solution to repair my Blackberry?

hello,

is there some clarification you need in JSanders' post ? (the one in green color) ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Bell

my screen still works but has dead spots  any fixes please 

New Contributor
My Device: 9530
My Carrier: tmobile

I have a weird screen click problem, I hope someone out there can tell me the fix for it. I have 9530, screen will not click at all, but if I turn the phone upside down (screen facing the ground) and I click the screen in that position, it works very well. When I turn the phone to the right position (screen facing the sky) it will click once and that's it, the screen is stuck in down position, will not click anymore.  Thank you in advance.