Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Screen safe from dust ingress?

Never having owned a BB before I'm considering the purchase of a 9700.

I've read reports of earlier BB's being affected quite badly by dust getting behind the outer screen in front of the LCD.

Is the 9700 screen sealed to prevent such a problem?

TIA,

Si.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Screen safe from dust ingress?

At this point, I don't think many people will be able to confirm 100% as the phone is just too new.  If you are concerned about this though, my recommendation is to use a holster.  A holster or even just a sleeve/pocket will keep the dust out and will greatly reduce the chance of this happening.  Pocket lint is the biggest reason for dust under the screen (in my opinion), so by preventing that pocket lint from having access, you'll greatly reduce the risk.

Note, I keep my Storm in the pocket that is meant for the Storm and I do not have any problems with dust under the screen.  And if any phone was going to get it, it would be the Storm thanks to the moving screen.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + 64GB MicroSD
My Carrier: Rogers

the design of the 9700 appears to be free of any crevasses which were present on my 8300 which did get dust... my last phone 8900 did not acquire any dust issues for the 10 months I used it (now my wife's Smiley Happy )

in any case, why are you so concerned about dust? How long do you plan to use the phone? can't be more than a couple years and even with the dust - it's only visible when the screen is off... concern seems a little hyper petty! (no offense)

I've always found it curious why people spend so much time and effort keeping their device in 'pristine'  condition with their screen protectors, cases, and constantly wiping them... personally I want to use my device and all the dings and nicks and scratches help me justify getting a new device every year or so Smiley Happy

peace and love
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

like the previous member wrote, the 9700 lcd screen seems to be sealed within the plastic cover for the screen. shouldnt have any dust getting into it.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Doesn't look there will be much of a problem with that.  Although I have noticed some dust getting into the crack between the screen and the plastic piece above it.  Doesn't look like the dust can get behind the screen lens though.