Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Screen turns off when making a call, wont go back on until I end call.

How do I get the screen to turn back on when I am making a call? I dont know how this happened. I didnt drop my phone or anything and now when making a call the screen turns off. I tapped the screeen and tilted the phone and it still didnt turn on. I am unable to put call on speakerphone or select any other options. HELP!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Screen turns off when making a call, wont go back on until I end call.

The screen turns off during a call.  The light sensor senses that your face is near and turns it off to conserve battery life.  If you have to access the screen for a function i.e. to enter an extension number, the sensor once again senses the difference in light and turns the screen back on.

That much you probably already knew; that was mostly for the benefit of others reading this thread.  If your screen is not turning back on, it's a software issue.  The quickest and most effective cure for software issues is the good ol' battery pull.  With your phone powered on, remove the battery then replace it a few seconds later.

That should help.  Please post back with your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Normally, when making a call the screen would stay on so that I had an option to mute, go on speakerphone or switch application, etc.  Not sure why, but as of this afternoon  as soon as I hit the green button to begin a call the screen blacks out.  No matter if I touch the screen or tilt the phone it stays black. The screen does not come back up until I end the call.

I did a cold reboot on the phone and the screen still blacks out when making a call. Smiley Sad

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Seeing as your screen still turns on at times, it's apparent that it's not a problem with the backlight itself.  If the battery pull did not help, I'm recommending you go right to an OS reload.  I only suggest this because I believe it's a software problem and not a hardware one.

You can reload your OS quite easily by plugging your phone in to your PC and opening BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Click Device at the top of the software then click Update.  Choose the version that has Currently Installed beside it.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Sadly it didnt work. ARGH!!!

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Etisalat

just peel off the screen protector that u r using and it should work again as it should be... hope this works with ur phone because it surely worked with mine