Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Screen turns off when slider is used. Worried about what the future holds.

First off, I love my torch. I couldn't wait until they arrived in Canada so I managed to my hands on an AT&T version from the US before they launched in Canada.  Things have been great, until recently.

Just the other day the screen began shutting off when I slid the slider open. Same thing occurs when the slider is open, screen is on and I close the slider.  The screen shuts off.  The keyboard and keys on the front of the slider remain illuminated.

I contacted RIM and they indicated that it was still under warranty and I should contact my carrier.  I indicated that my phone was purchased in the US, but is on a Canadian carrier.  The rep from RIM indicated that didn't matter and my Canadian carrier would replace the unit.  So I called my carrier and explained. They told me there was nothing they could/would do for me as I didn't purchase the unit from them.  I mentioned that I had already spoken with RIM and did as I was instructed.

So now I am frustrated. I have a unit that I paid full price for, uncertain when/if my current workaround will stop working and I have a carrier who doesn't want to assist (regardless if I spent 14 years with them).  I want to get another Torch, but will have to pay full price with my carrier even though RIM tells me I have warranty on my current unit. Should I hold out for the new Torch?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Screen turns off when slider is used. Worried about what the future holds.

I would like to know as well. This just started happening to me today and its very annoying.

If I slide the slider up, the screen shuts off. When I slide it back down it comes back on.

Could this have something to do with the recent update (last week or so)? Should I try going back to the old version?

Thanks

New Contributor

Biggzy: I haven't recently made any updates myself. When I did speak with RIM the rep was very helpful. She indicated that it may be related to the ribbon (wire) that connects the two pieces of the Torch. Given that this has recently happened, I'm not certain if I need to be worried that this ribbon will fail and then I have not ability to use my Torch.  Also, if I purchase a new Torch will this happen again? I treat my BBs very well... I have a protective case over the unit and a film over the screen. It is always holstered when not in use. When I moved to my Torch from a Bold 9000 the IT rep said my 9000 looked brand new.

I just wish someone would say if this is a known issue or not. I want another Torch, but not if I am going to get the same thing happen again down the road. This has been a great unit to date.

New Contributor

I'm currently running OS6 bundle 2342 and it says that I can update to bundle 2647. Should I avoid or does anyone know if this will correct the problem? As I say, I love my torch and don't want to change.
New Contributor

I have bundle 2647, so I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. I want to try and go back to an older version to see if that fixes it.

This is definitely **bleep** me off though. I hate texting with the screen keyboard.

New Contributor

I Tried the upgrade and it didn't change anything. Same issues.
New Contributor

Yeah, apparently it was a hardware problem. I ended up going to an AT&T store and they sent me to one of their device service centers and exchanged it for me with a brand new one. Check to see if yours is within the 1 year warranty.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Sasktel

Did you find a fix?  mine is doing the same thing.  It's under warranty but I just haven't sent it away yet.