Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: o2

Security Wipe Questions

Hi guys this isnt a problem as such i was just wanting to learn about the security wipe on the blackberry devices Smiley Happy

a few questions..

1 - just how "secure" is the security wipe!? Once it has ran is that it theres no going back or traceable data?

2 - exactly what does it "wipe" when you set it to do so on the phone? Ive seen the KB for this but its very general 

3 - once a wipe has been performed if you dont have a DM backup is all the data gone for good and impossible to retrieve without a backup file?

4 - Just how does the wipe work, it intrigues me as to how it knows to wipe out all your personal information and set the device back to standard!

these are just a few questions i wondered about the feature as i said im having no problems these are just thoughts Smiley Happy

thanks

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Security Wipe Questions

I think most of this was already answered in your other thread.  Smiley Wink

1. totally secure, there is no retrieving data that has been wiped. As stated before.
  2. How... by deleting your personal preferences, messages, contacts, calender, SMS, data, passwords, etc..
  3. Yes. A desktop backup or a backup make to BlackBerry Protect. See #1 above.
  4. File deletion and overwriting the filespace with 0s

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Hello again JSanders hope your well Smiley Happy

Yes it was my thread that got me thinking about just how clever the security wipe was to be able to do what it does, but as i wasnt having any issues and have always wondered about its functionality i thought id post a general thread here to answer the questions and hopefully help others who maybe thought the same.

Off what you say there i can see why RIM are top of the game with security, makes me wonder why android is said to not be very secure with them being "smarter" phones than blackberry devices!

No one (with any brains) ever said Android was more secure. There routine weekly (sometimes daily) malware and spyware warnings issued for Android devices.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

[ Edited ]

im not surprised by that my sister has the galaxy s3 and there are so many bogus applications on that its stupid!

Also on topic of the security wipe if it deletes all the possible data ect.. needed on a device if you wanted to solve an issue or sell the device then why do some people say to wipe the device with programs such as bbsak and jl cmder and reload an OS? Is there any advantage in doing that?

andyp73 wrote:

why do some people say to wipe the device with programs such as bbsak and jl cmder and reload an OS? Is there any advantage in doing that?

BBSAK and jl_cmder include wipe programs.

There is a higher level wipe, not a security wipe, but a device wipe which clears the OS and all. A bit overkill, but nonetheless a choice. An OS reload also performs in the process a device wipe. Same difference.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

[ Edited ]

So its basically all down to preference and makes no real change. The pdf you linked to in your first post made for good reading i havent seen that before that explained alot that i didnt know so thank you for that

another question is there any difference between a security wipe and the reset to factory option thats found in desktop manager support tools?

not really.

The factory reset includes the security wipe.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Contributor

Cool so a simple security wipe is sufficient enough to be clear of any data ect.. rather than going through the long processes (full os wipe & DM reset tool)

its a powerful little tool that security wipe isnt it!