Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Selecting Contact or Call Log automatically dials instead of viewing contact/log info.

After upgrading to v5x on a Storm 9530, certain things have changed from previous behaviour.

One of them is if I select a Contact or Call Log entry via the touchscreen, the phone automatically dials the number associated with the entry.  This is a problem as I often want to view the info instead of dialing it.

I cannot seem to find any way to revert the behaviour. Even the help screens suggest this should not be the default. 

EG:

[BlackBerry Help]

1. In the phone application,

Click the *contacts* icon.

Type part of a contact name. Highlight a contact or phone number.

2. Press the *send* key.

That is not what happens.

I can highlight a contact, but if I press the touchscreen to view the contact, the phone just dials the associated number, if there is just one phone number associated with the contact or log. If there is more than one number, you get a list asking which number to dial.

If there is just one number associated, hitting the *blackberry* key gives a menu which has the option to view the contact.

If there is more than one number associated, hitting the *blackberry* button automatically dials the highlighted number. There does not seem to be a way to view the contact.

I would like the old behavior to return: ie view is default and you can select a number and dial, or dial via the *blackberry* key which brings up a menu of options.

Anyone know how? Phone Help, the Manual for the phone, and Blackberry support all indicate the old default behaviour should occur.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Selecting Contact or Call Log automatically dials instead of viewing contact/log info.

You don't want to press/click thru when you are on a contact.  Touch to highlight the contact.  That gives you access to select any menu option.

Click thru tells the phone application that you in fact want to dial the number and as you found if there is more than one number associated with the contact it will ask which number.

I am using OS 5.0.0.419/.436 (a hybrid) but my old OS with Verizon 5.0.0.328 functioned the same way.  Remember clicking thru completes an action.

Touching is an intermediate operation. clicking finalizes (with the exception of multiple choices for a given contact).

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!