Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Etisalat

Serious issue with Bold 9790

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I bought my Blackberry Bold 9790 in Feb, 2012. It worked perfectly for the first 6-9 months then after that, it started to do weird things so I took it to the dealer where I bought it from. It was within the ONE year warranty. They claimed they have fixed it but:

1- They did not tell me what was wrong with it
2- It problem is not solved, it is worse now.

Long story short, I will explain what is going on with my device at the moment.

1- VERY HOT
2- Battery drains in no time
3- Became so slow that I can't do anything at all

Above is what is going on.

Workaround in order to avoid all the above crazy things:

Workaround 1: Either I disconnect it from any network (network off) OR take the battery out, wait few mins, put it back in.

The above workaround usually fails. Not to mention, if I turn all the networks off, I will no longer be able to use it as a phone and I can't use the BBM, obviously.

Workaround 2: I keep "Mobile Network" ON BUT I turn the Data Service OFF

Options > Networks and Connections > Mobile Network > Data Services >> OFF

The above work around will stop the crazy things and the mobile starts to behave well BUT I will lose the ability to use my BBM which makes this workaround is less helpful.

Workaround 3: THE ONE AND ONLY workaround that seems better than the previous workarounds is:

Once I connect my mobile to my Wireless Network at home, everything becomes better (Battery stop draining crazily fast, became cool and no more hot and it became usable and not slow).

NOW, the downside of workaround 3 is:
ONCE I leave my home, the whole thing start all over again because outside my home, obviously, there is no longer a Wireless (Wifi) network I can connect to.

So, I have to go for either workaround 1 or 2 Smiley Sad

You see, I am having a serious issue and I have NO IDEA what is going on?

It seems like the device is leaking something or using something that is why I can see the transmission icon next to the Mobile Network meter is flashing so fast when it starts to drain the battery and became usable and hot.

Also, I do:
Memory Cleaner

and

Hold "Alt" and press L then G and then again L then G while holding "Alt" and I clear the Log (someone told me about this)

But these two things never helped.

I need you help ... any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

I'm a Linux User and Contributor - http://amjjawad.blogspot.com
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Serious issue with Bold 9790

Hello!

Are you reluctant for some reason to seek your answers from your service provider? It seems that you continue to have a case with them that they have not fully resolved, nor answered for you. But they remain your sole formal channel for support...all else is informal, and comes with all the risks involved with such channels.

Nevertheless, if you wish to continue on your own, then I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

amjjawad wrote:

Also, I do:
Memory Cleaner

Unless you have some requirement for that (e.g., you work for the NSA and they require it's use), turn that off...it does not do what most people think it does (it is NOT a defrag), and consumes a lot of resources to do what it does do.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hello and thank you so much for replying Smiley Happy

The reason why I don't seek help and/or support from my service provider is because they are useless and helpless. There service quality is really bad and that applies for the dealer I bought my phone from and the service provider.

Yes, I do like to carry on alone without the need for extra headache dealing with local people who are helpless Smiley Happy

From the first attempt, I managed to boot into the Safe Mode and I guess we have a little bit of progress here but still not good enough.

The same issue is happening yet again 'except' this time, the device is LESS hot. Everything else is the same: So Slow (hard to use it) and Battery Drains SO fast.

I will expalin in details what I have done:

1- Yesterday, I was trying to figure out what is going on and before I read your post, I have removed Whatsapp + I have deleted all the Wifi Network from my phone, kept it off for sometime until it started to behave well.

2- This morning, after reading your comment, I booted into the Safe Mode, connected to my Wifi Network and re-installed Whatsapp yet again.

3- Logged in to Whatsapp, used it, send few messages to my friends then I turned the Wireless network off.

4- Same old story as I explained earlier except the mobile is LESS hot this time.

5- Connected again to my Wireless Network and it started to behave well.

So, the only difference is it is less hot but still so slow and still draining the battery so much Smiley Sad

I am sorry, I didn't understand how to turn off the Memory Cleaner? my bad, I have even forgotten how did I put that on the fav list, I mean, I can't remember where it came from.

So, what do you suggest now?

I am not sure if this is can do any help but I must mention that:

What I have noticed yesterday is yet another weird thing. My Package that I am subscribed to has NO Whatsapp and if I want to use Whatsapp, I must be connected to a Wifi network. What is weird that Whatsapp was WORKING actually today without connecting to any Wifi Network so I have NO idea what is going on with my phone?

My Package is called the Social Package which is
BBM
Google Talk
Yahoo Messenger
MSN Messenger
Facebook
Twitter

THAT IS ALL.

So, how on the world Whatsapp was working? I have no idea.

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

OK, thanks for the details. From what you report, things do not improve adequately in Safe Mode, which means you should proceed with what I already said above...the paragraph that starts with:

• "But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode..."

As for Memory Cleaner, refer:

• KB03862 BlackBerry smartphone memory cleaner

Of course, I'm sure you could have found that in your user manual...

As for WhatsApp, I've no idea if it should or should not work on your specific plan...that's one of those questions that only your carrier can answer, and you don't want to ask them, so there is no ability to have an answer. It'll do whatever it'll do.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hi and thanks again for your reply Smiley Happy

Okay, I don't mind to carry on with what you suggested but I'd apprecaite if you could kindly guide me through the process/steps that I need to follow so that we hopefully can fix the issue.

By the way, I have wiped the data before but that did not change any thing. The whole thing started with BBM. I once removed it when I stopped paying for my Monthly Package so I uninstalled BBM since I am not using it as I was trying to reduce the apps running on memory. The time I decided to re-subscribe to the service and installed the BBM 6.2, the whole headache has started. By the way, my OS is 7.1 in case this will help at all.

Thanks for the Memory Cleaner's Link. I will have a look at it soon.

As for Whatsapp, no big deal, never mind. Was curious, that is all Smiley Happy

Many thanks!

Hall of Famer III

amjjawad wrote:

By the way, I have wiped the data before but that did not change any thing. The whole thing started with BBM. I once removed it when I stopped paying for my Monthly Package so I uninstalled BBM since I am not using it as I was trying to reduce the apps running on memory. The time I decided to re-subscribe to the service and installed the BBM 6.2, the whole headache has started. By the way, my OS is 7.1 in case this will help at all.

That is very strange...the result you have is not something I'd ever predict from the sequence of events you've described. But, as with all things, anything is possible.

amjjawad wrote:

Okay, I don't mind to carry on with what you suggested but I'd apprecaite if you could kindly guide me through the process/steps that I need to follow so that we hopefully can fix the issue.

I will be glad to, but it all starts, as that paragraph I referred you back to says, with:

• "To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions."

Have you done that yet?

Contributor

Indeed, anything is possible. I know for sure this is so odd and strange and I failed to find a good answer for all this.

I haven't backup yet but I have done less than a month ago and have nothing to worry about but I will do another backup so, I am ready to carry on with steps and will let you know what could happen Smiley Happy

Thank you so much ... you are so nice and helpful, I am too a member of other forums (Linux Forums) and it is a pleasure to deal with someone so helpful like you Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III

You are very welcome. Let me know when you are ready to proceed...and please review the backup instructions very carefully, for to be fully protected there is a lot more to do than just using the Desktop Software and/or BB Protect backup functions.

Contributor

Ready when you are Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III

OK, here are, in order of destructiveness and complexity, the things I recommend you try...try the first, and if that doesn't help, move onto the next. Note -- don't bother restoring your data until you know you have a stable platform.

First, an on-device WIPE:

KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

Next, a ResetToFactory WIPE:

KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Next, a clean OS reload:

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!