Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Setup Questions

Hello -

I am trying to set up a blackberry for my wife for her personal use only.  I've searched the forums, but cannot find an answer to this question, so thank you in advance.  For my own blackberry, I can pretty much do everything on my computer that I can do on my blackberry, and everything syncs wirelessly, including email, contacts, calendars, tasks, etc.  I use Microsoft Outlook at work.  For my wife, I would like to be able to do the same thing.  She doesn't necessarily need to use Outlook, although she likes to.  She would just like to be able to make entries either on the computer, or the blackberry, and then have everything sync wirelessly.  She currently uses Yahoo email, which allows the email to sync wirelessly, but not her contacts, calendar, etc.  We have DSL, so the computer is always connected.  Is this possible to do for a personal email account?  We're open to switching email accounts.  Again, she likes Outlook, but this isn't necessary. 

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. 

New Contributor

Re: Setup Questions

Question in regarding your blackberry.  Is your blackberry set up through your business?  Like does it have a BES server or are you using it for personal?  Also, if your wife's phone is going to be set up as a personal e-mail say through Yahoo, there is really no way of syncing wirelessly so to speak. 

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

To exand on that... No email will sync. However with a Gmail, yahoo or other IMAP email server, you will get mail delete reconciliation.

She will need to do a wired sync for calendar, address, tasks or memos on a personal BIS setup.

If you desire otherwise, I suggest she get a hosted exchange service, such as 'exchangemymail.com' offers.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor

Hello Did you ever get any answer to your questions?I would like to be able to do the same with my phone .can you.please forward to me the setup solution. Cheers, Yanee
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Deramat wrote:
Hello Did you ever get any answer to your questions?I would like to be able to do the same with my phone .can you.please forward to me the setup solution. Cheers, Yanee

Questions answered in above post. if you have additional, please ask.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

Thanks for your response.  I'm surprised this isn't something that is in greater demand.  Wireless synch makes the blackberry so much easier to use, and that would be true for personal use as well.  It shouldn't be this difficult.

In any event, thanks again.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

this feature is very popular. There are two ways :
for companies, it's just the cost of a BES infrastructure
for normal people, they just have to use a GMail or a Yahoo!Mail account.

just to put in pespective, as of april 2008 : millions of users :
256.2 Microsoft webmail
254.6 Yahoo!
091.6 Google Mail
048.9 AOL Mail

AOL is always lagging behind in terms of technology, and Microsoft is having much trouble with their new live.com buzz.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: