Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Shift-scroll not selecting multiple messages

I've got two questions, but I'll post them separately to keep the threads clean...

I just got a Curve 8330 (used to have an 8830 World Edition, with Sprint in case it matters) and I'm loving it so far. But for some reason, I can't click the SHIFT key and scroll to select multiple messages like I could on the other BB. I've tried about every combination I could think of: Left shift, right shift, alt, press and don't hold, press and hold, press both and hold, alt-shift and scroll. Nothing.

Is it a software problem?

Is there some weird "don't allow shift to be used for multiple selection" setting some place.

Oh... and yes, the Shift key works just fine for other uses.

Ideas?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Shift-scroll not selecting multiple messages

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums,

I have an Verizon 8330. You should be able to use either the right or left keys to press and scroll.

Not to be insulting, but to verify,  the keys are located on the bottom row last key on each side of the keyboard.

They have an up arrow in silver along with an aA in each. You should be able to highlight the message to start, press either shift key, and scroll the trackball to the last selected item. 

I was just verifying the procedure.

Has this not worked since you got it, or has it just started?

Please let me know,

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-30-2008 04:15 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thanks for the welcome!...

I'm fairly technically capable, so I'm feeling pretty certain about which are the shift keys (vs., say the Alt key or the Enter key).

But neither the right nor left shift keys (with the up arrow and the little  aA) work to select multiple messages. I've only had the device a week or so, and it's been like that since I got it.

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Like I said, I was not trying to be insulting. I worked a help desk for years and...well you know.

Have you tried the standard battery pull?

If that doesn't clear it, I would walk it right back and get another.

Why pay good money for something that either doen't function correctly, or has to be repaired? It might be a small function, but there could be a larger flaw causing it. (just my opinion)

Please let me know if the battery pull works.

Thanks,

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-30-2008 04:27 AM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Nope, battery pull didn't help. Thanks though! A definite drag as this isn't a brand new phone (got it from a friend who had it a few weeks) so I can't quite march in and demand a new one.

Would love to hear other ideas if folks have them!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

where do you try to do that multiple selection ?
does that work in the messages list ?
and in the SMS messages list ?

did you try and do a text selection (in a email message you receive, in a email message you are writing, in a webpage ?)
Procedure for me in messages is :
press & hold a shift key, then scroll up & down.

something that may be positive though : select multiple messages and delete them takes much more time than deleting them one at a time.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Shift-scroll doesn't work anywhere it seems. Not in the email message list, not in the SMS message list, and not in any text documents either. The only way I can select text is in memo pad, by choosing "Select" from the menu. Definitely something wacky.

An while it may be technically faster to go one at a time, I definitely find it more convenient to select, say, a dozen messages from a thread I don't need and just hit delete once, rather than menu-->delete a dozen times!

Guru I

Hi,

Would you please send me your File free and file total numbers?

found in OPTIONS STATUS.

Thanks,

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

theDangerspoon wrote:

An while it may be technically faster to go one at a time, I definitely find it more convenient to select, say, a dozen messages from a thread I don't need and just hit delete once, rather than menu-->delete a dozen times!

To delete a message, don't do Menu key >> Delete.

Just hit the Delete key. Smiley Wink

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

File Free: 32,940,071 Bytes (32MB). (Also a mostly-empty 4MB SD card, not that it matters here...)

Xandrex: good tip on the delete key -- thanks! Competely forgot about that! Still more convenient (for me) to multi-select and delete, but that helps for sure.