Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Should be easy: Transfer pictures to computer

This ought to be easy, but somethings off (maybe it's me).  So I scoured the manuals, read the forums, and yes I found the advice at this entry:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9630&message.id=738&query.id=1391752#...

I've got the USB connection going.  I've got the latest Desktop Manager.  I *don't* have the Roxio Media Manager nor Blackberry Media Sync ... I'd rather avoid unnecessary add-ins if I can.  And I don't have a separate memory card.  Just the BB memory itself.  PC, Windows XP.

My Desktop Manager finds the BB perfectly.  If I choose the Mass Media Storage option, then My Comptuer shows me a BLACKBERRY (ESmiley Happy drive where I can see nine completely-EMPTY folders (including the hidden System folder). If I choose to not use the Mass Media Storage option, then instead of an E: drive I get an "MTP Device" ... where I can see TWO completely empty folders.  But of course the folders shouldn't be empty.  I've taken pictures that open up just fine on the BB (I can even email 'em if I have to).  Isn't there a way to just drag and drop, to get 'em on the PC?

Any suggestions?

BTW ... when I use the BB's own "Media" application to look at the pictures, the pop-up menu seems to let me MOVE the pictures.  I thought this was perfect--I'd just move the files someplace accessible by the computer.  Didn't work.  Either that or I couldn't navigate the MOVE function.  Of course I *did* find the handful of empty folders, but nothing seemed to actually affect those folders in any way.

Help?  Thanks!

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

Re: Should be easy: Transfer pictures to computer

I just Selct Pictures from Phone

ClicK BB Menu

Then Click Send By EMAIL Its Fast

New Contributor

To be fair ... that works.  I can email 'em to myself ... but especially when I'm in a place where my connectivity is weak (like when I used the phone to snap a couple of pictures on vacation ... I've got the computer, and the phone, and the cord, but connectivity ... not so much :-)

Plus, this just doesn't make sense ... I think I'm just storing these in the wrong folder or something.  (Somehow I know this is My Fault :-)

Thanks Windos!

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Go to your Media icon on your BlackBerry.

Click the Menu key left of the trackball.

Click Explore.

Now, naviigate to your Media Card > Pictures and see if they are in there?

While in explore, also look at your Device  Memory... are they there?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yup, the Explore worked perfectly ... as far as it could take me.  The pictures are in Device Memory/home/user/pictures/ ... I was even able to find the default sample pictures in Device Memory/samples/ ...

But I still can't find them when the BB is linked to the PC.  Both in MTS mode or Media Store mode ... When I look at the folders from the PC ... all the folders are empty.

P.S.  Explore also shows me Media Card ... as the same level of Device Memory.  But there's nothing in it--except more empty folders.  And all the folders have that icon with a little green arrow pointing to the left.

Message Edited by 4allisons on 09-01-2009 01:27 PM
New Contributor

Any other suggestions?

I can find the pictures on the phone, but can't find them from the PC.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB Tour 9630 / Sprint

my suggestion is use the poxio media manager. thats what its for. you can always uninstall later but this will show you if it will solve your problem. not real sure why you wouldnt want to use it??

Smiley Surprised

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote! - - Benjamin Franklin
Contributor
My Device: BB Storm 9530 on Bell

I have this issue now. Any solution was found ??? Thanks.

New Contributor

The solution turned out to be double-checking for the "latest" version of the desktop manager.  Unfortunately for me, the version I had been given was NOT a match with my 9630.  Also, I had to uninstall every last piece of the old version before the new version would install correctly (easier said than done).  As soon as I grabbed the RIGHT version--directly from the Verizon Web site--and installed it without ANY of the trash left over from the old version (which did not seem to uninstall very cleanly), the whole thing worked great.

When I connect the Blackberry to the PC, the Blackberry asks if I want to be in mass storage mode, I say yes, and boom there it all is:  In My Computer it shows up as the E:\ drive and the path couldn't be easier: E:\BlackBerry\pictures\ and there they all are.

Personally, I'm guessing that the updated version of the desktop manager also included updated drivers, and it was really the drivers that were the issue.

Lesson learned is straight from the xkcd handbook: when troubleshooting, ALWAYS check  the source of the software you're installing.  And no, RIM is not the source.  Neither is the box the device came in.

Hope this helps.