Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Sim Card error message

I bought my 8300 Oct. 07, and have not subscribed to the Internet package since I don't want to pay $360/year just to access the Internet (are the phone companies kidding?  It costs them pennies, and they charge us $30/month?) from my phone.  A great phone so far, but for the red SOS message I got on occasion and had to re-start the phone to be able to use the phone again.  I began noticing that the red SOS wasn't the only thing: I was also getting a Sim Card Error message on the screen.  I would pull the back, the battery, jiggle the sim card slot, put it all back together and, voila, working phone again...for a while.

This became more frequent in 08.  I spent hours on the phone with AT&T and finally in July I went through another phone call with AT&T and they finally agreed to send out a replacement phone.  They figured the sim card message was a red herring because sim cards either function or they don't, and they didn't believe there was something wrong with the card, but the phone reading the card.

New phone--a month old now--is not only doing the same thing (I receive or make a call, have perfect reception, and it goes to the red SOS and sim card error message once the phone call is hung up), but doing it more frequently.  I've talked to--literally--a dozen AT&T people, and not until tonight does one of them tell me they are now advising all customers buying smartphones--any smartphone--they have to buy the monthly Internet package, because the phones are constantly updated via the Internet, and that's the issue with my phone.

I'm not buying this explanation.  This person further says that if my phone starts accessing the Internet all by itself, then I will be responsibile for the charges incurred as the phone access the Internet, downloads and installs the updates it so dearly needs.  I buy this part even less.  I fail to see how a phone can turn on a feature I've stipulated to be turned off, and see this as an AT&T employee's attempt to get me to sign onto the Internet service.

But!  My question to you, out there in Blackberryland, is: is there any truth to the updating part of the AT&T person's claim?  Is this something I will need to subscribe to or have continual problems with my otherwise very well designed and functioning phone?  Or, is this as I think, nothing more than a problem sim card?

Comments?  Instructions?  I'm very much listening.

Thanks,

Clay

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sim Card error message

I feel your pain.  My phone was doing the same thing.  I never called ATT -I looked at the place were the sim card goes and saw that one of the prongs that reads the sim card was pressed lower than the others.  I don't think it was reading the sim card.  I do think that the line about purchasing the internet provider is not the answer to fixing the problem.  I have the internet package and I was still having the same problem.  ANd my phone has never prompted or upgraded on its own to my knowledge.  Now that could be why I'm having the problems that I'm having now.  I don't know.  But good luck.