Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

Sim lock after Software Update

I bought a new Sim-lock free BB Bold 9900 yesterday. Everything works well connceting to my provider Vodafone.

Today I did a software update. Now I got a SIM-lock because of a new Software from Telekom

Result: I am locked out

How could this happen ? Did BB sold me a SIM-lock manipulated BB ??

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Sim lock after Software Update

Hello,

That is quite odd indeed. You should be able to use any carriers OS package regardless of the carrier on which your BB is operating. Further, the SIM Lock issue is normally different from the MEP lock issue. The MEP lock is what prevents a BB from being used on any carrier, beyond that for which it was originally manufactured...unlocking the MEP allows the BB to run on any carrier for which the radio frequencies are compatible. SIM Lock normally refers to the SIM itself...some have a code that is needed to be entered into the BB in order to use the SIM. But these issues are all separate from each other, and normally do not impact each other. (Unfortunately, there has at times been documentation that interchanges the concepts of MEP and SIM locking...)

But, from what you describe, you have an MEP unlocked (I think, even though you said SIM) BB running on Vodafone. When you installed an OS package from Telekom, you are now receiving a SIM-lock message. All three issues tangling together here for you it would seem!

Please check these links and be certain that your BB is MEP unlocked:

Once a device is MEP unlocked, only the factory can re-lock it...an OS package simply cannot relock the MEP.

Next, contact the SIM provider and see if they have the code to unlock the SIM (you may have been provided it originally, or they may have done it before delivering the device to you). You may also need a replacement SIM...perhaps your old one has become damaged or otherwise not usable...a replacement might be needed to cure your situation. Doing all of this in your local carrier shop, with a BB expert of their's available, would be the best method I would think.

Very strange indeed. But good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................