Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Skype for Blackberry Bold 9700

Hi,

I currently have a blackberry bold 9700 which I think is great and am very happy with.

The one downside is that there is no skype app ( - not interested in workarounds or 3rd party apps like ISKOOT here, I'm talking about a proper skype app that you would download from skype like the one for the iphone).

My phone contract is up for renewal soon and whether I can get a skype app will play a large factor in my decision whether to keep my blackberry or move on to something else.

I would really like a clear straight answer ideally from someone at RIM as to if and when this will be availble. And when I say straight clear I mean something like one of the two options below:

a) We have no plans for a skype app for the blackberry bold 9700

b) A Skype app for blackberry will be available on <insert date here>

Thanks for your help,

NickyW

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Skype for Blackberry Bold 9700

Even if RIM was working on a Skype app they would never release information about it until just prior to release or possibly a betazone program.  

I've not heard any rumors of a Skype app either.  3rd party apps are your best bet.  Ask Skype why they  haven't released a BB version. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Thanks John,

According to Skype (see link)  they do have a blackberry app but it's only available on Verizon in the US, I'm on T-mobile in the UK. But the fact that an app exists seems to imply the holdup is more politcal rather than technical.

Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Orange

Just my 2 cents. Skype is also available in the UK for customers of 3. But no available on O2, Orange, Vodafone or T-mobile Smiley Sad

وأعتقد أن في واحد والله وحده
My Device: blackberry 9700 bold2
My Carrier: orange

what are some third party's for skype???

i'm new to BB but i reaaly really want skype

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi everybody..

yes ....your right...this is about political reasons and nothing else .....I used it in USA through the Verizen but since i am back to Germany i have realized that even in Germany non of the service providers offering Skype for RIM !..the only way remains..Iskoot or IM+ for Skype..

This is ridiculous!!!!