01-06-2011 03:46 PM
I have a Non Three (Three being the United Kingdom's Mobile network) Blackberry Pearl 9105 which is GSM (Unlocked) however want to be able to use the Skype program, but unable to do so due to provisioning issues. The phone allows me to Download the program from "Planet 3" however is unable to open when populated with the correct username and password.
I was wondering what I need to do to get this to work, as apparently this currently works if the phone was purchased directly from the carrier/network. Are there some special settings to be activated, and would it work without BIS.
I need help and support if anyone can. I would be eternally grateful if this could be made possible.
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-06-2011 04:29 PM
It is my understanding that Skype is not compatible yet with the BlackBerry, except for limited carriers, like Verizon in the US who has it featured.
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code
01-15-2011 10:59 AM
But I am on the Three Network, have the Skype app downloaded, it loads, but it doesn't sign in.
Unable to connect to server.
How can this be solved?
01-21-2011 02:22 PM
1. Un-Attach BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS) from current Network
So in my case this would be Orange
2. Pop you BlackBerry provisioned SIM in to the BlackBerry
in my case this would be the Three SIM
3. Send a text message to activate BIS (This will reduce your balance by £5)
4. Await text confirmation
5. Re-start phone by removing battery, wait for seconds before adding back
6. Await MY BBS, and BB icon in top right hand corner
7. You are good to go, Download Skype from Planet Three
If you need any help - give me a shout!!!!
02-02-2011 10:31 AM
I have a Bberry 8900 on the Vodafone carrier in the UK.
I would like to have the chance to use it to make Skype calls when I am overseas and connected by wifi to the internet; I don't want to use it in the UK to make Skype calls as I have no need to do so.
I do not have an account or a SIM on the 3 network and don't want to get one if I can avoid it. Can I download a Skype for blackberry app that will work on my 8900 that will let me use Skype outside the UK without changing anything else?
If so, I'd be very grateful for a step by step guide of how to install it please.
02-02-2011 03:20 PM
Unfortunately some bad news after researching this myself
1. BlackBerry does not currently support Skype, it does but in the form of iSkoot, but payable through data and also minutes from your talk time or bundle, but calls are not very good and its just not ideal
2. Even with the use of Wi-Fi, this is not at all possible, but they (Skype) may launch a Blackberry app in the future open to all networks, but I doubt its not going to be as good as what the Three network offerings (Which are free) provided BIS is added to the account
3. Skype will work outside the UK, but on a Nokia Symbian device such as a Nokia E71 or better, but the Skype has to have like a Internet bundle attached for it to be utilised best, but just to answer your question, Skype is not available on the BB phones, unless you are 1. In the UK, 2. Have a Three enabled phone and it is either the BB 9105, BB 9300, BB Torch or even the BB 9780 all available on the Three network, or similalry in the USA on the Verizon network,
Sorry to disappointing, I have had to go through the same gruelling process of finding out. Maybe it will be supported in the future, you just have to watch the space.
02-04-2011 11:26 PM
I'm not getting skype on my pearl 3g although following your solution i have subscribed to BIS. It doesn't install and say 907 INVALID COD, STREAM, CLOSED.
Can you please help in this regard.
02-05-2011 06:38 AM
I don't know what kind of error message that is, but I have seen it on other programs I have downloaded.
I am not an expert, but can you check the following.
1. You are on the Three UK network
2. Your Three UK Sim is provisioned correctly to work with Three on BlackBerry Services
3. Try deleting SKYPE, restarting your BB 9105 and go to Planet 3 from your handset and try again or alternatively - check and send yourself a link via this LINK
4. Was your handset supplied to you by Three (e.g purchased from Three)?
5. Does the BB Sign show up in the right hand corner?
6. Have you updated to the new BB software via your cable?
Try the above, because it should work, I have been using it for now a good few weeks and I have not come across this issue. But do let me know and I will help you as much as I can. I think it just needs a delete and restart or even point number 6 should sort it out, if it is not already done, but if you can reply back and then hopefully something should work.
Good Luck buddy
02-05-2011 06:40 AM
The best thing you can do, is get a Nokia phone - But it has to be like a E71/E72 or even N900 and download the readily available Skype application and then you just use that, but like you said it would be nice to have it on the BB, especially with BB Messenger and other box standard apps. Let me know how you get on.