Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Skyscape?

Hello all!

I'm going to be completely honest, I've never owned or used a BlackBerry before.

I am a first year nursing student and am required to purchase a PDA to run my nursing program Nursing Constellation Plus via Skyscape. I didn't think that a BlackBerry phone was a PDA, but on the Skyscape website, it lists BlackBerry as an acceptable platform as long as it is running on OS 4.1 or greater.... My question is: Will this work on a BlackBerry phone, or is there just a BlackBerry PDA? I am SO new to the world of PDA's/Smartphones.... I don't understand them at all... If it makes any difference, I'm on the Sprint network and need to stay that way because its on a combined plan....

Thanks in advance for trying to untangle and understand what I just typed haha. I'm hoping I made sense.

Help! lol.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Skyscape?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

SmartPhones and PDA's have been merging more and more in recent years. These days, having a PDA that does not have an ability to connect wirelessly is pretty much expiring technology. We all need to exchange and share so much so quickly that trying to do that by the occasional sync via a USB cable basically violates the "quickly" part of sharing. 

For BB's, there is no device that is not also a phone...RIM adopted the wireless connectivity paradigm some time ago and has a wealth of devices targeted to that need. So, the Skyscape statement that they will run on a BB that is running OS 4.1 or later can likely be accepted. However, one caveat -- it would also be very wise to get them to state the specific models of BB's that they operate on. RIM has been developing and releasing newer and newer technologies which require 3rd party apps to be specifically coded for them -- witness the Storm; as a touch-screen device, the application must be coded in a way that works with such a device, and the coding is not the same as for a hard-keypad device. Yet, the Storm operates on an OS that is greater than 4.1...hence, going solely by the OS level may not be adequate. I'd suggest inquiring of Skyscape to say which models they work on (or, perhaps they can say which they do not work on...might be a shorter list).

BB's have calendaring, messaging, contact lists, and all of the other PDA-type functions you'd expect. They further can be connected with over the air (OTA) services via those embedded apps as well as add-on apps (such as your Skyscape).

What you also need to find out is precisely what data plan you will need from your carrier...there are multiple plans, each offering different services from your carrier. You will need to know which plan Skyscape needs you to have (my guess, a Blackberry Data Plan) so that it can operate properly. And you may need to alter your plan with your carrier, and that may or may not come at a cost to you (you'll need to ask them).

Good luck. Come back with more if you need more! We are here to help!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Not Specified

That is honestly the clearest answer I've gotten so far; thanks! You helped me understand how it actually works lol. Now... If I would get just a regular PDA (I like the design and functionality of BlackBerry's but they are so expensive!) with wireless access for internet but not for phone. Would i have to pay a service fee for that every month? I guess I should throw in that my school has wireless internet and I also have a wireless network at home...
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hmmm...a BB that has and uses WiFi but has no voice phone contract...hmmm...an odd duck, that! BB's were designed as integrated devices, so I'm thinking that I've seen that in order to even use WiFi services, a BB Data Contract is still required (which, I think always includes voice). I could be totally wrong about that...I've never looked into such a service offering, always wanting the full convergence of all services on my one device. I do so hate the "bat belt" look of having multiple single-function devices!

There are probably devices (not BB's) that are designed as solely WiFi-capable PDA's, but I honestly have never looked for those, so I'm sorry but I can't guide you in looking for such a thing.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

there are not many PDAs that are not smartphones today. As far as I know, there is only one left : the Apple iPod Touch (not the iPhone). It is quite expensive in my opinion.

If you find another PDA with Wi-Fi, then you won't need a special subscription, as long as you can find places with free Wi-Fi.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: