Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Super Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

SlingBox On The BlackBerry Storm?

Right now, I just moved and my Slingbox is not set-up because my computer is like 25 feet away from my TV (in the same room).

From what I understand, I may be able to set it up wirelessly via some sort of wireless bridges...? Does anyone know anything about this? How hard is it to do? How much will it cost me? What products do I need?

Can I even watch my Slingbox on my BlackBerry Storm?

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: SlingBox On The BlackBerry Storm?

I think Sling for the Storm is still in Beta.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

What you are going to want is a wireless router to connect your SlingBox wirelessly to your network signal.  Wireless routers can be purchased at any electronics retailer (e.g. BestBuy) and typically cost in the range of around $40-200).  A decent basic one to consider is the Linksys Wireless G router (WRT54G2).  It's fairly inexpensive but at the same time is a good router.  The previous generation (the WRT54G) was considered one of the best routers.  If you'd rather step up a notch and go to wireless N (no real reason to do so, but you can if you like), check out the WRT160N in store.  Linksys and D-Link are the two best names for home routers.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Super Contributor

Well, I have the Linksys WRT54G, but it's like 25 feet from my TV. I can't plug the TV into the Linksys WRT54G, so what else can I do to "bridge" the gap? What can I get?
Elite I

Ok, so what you need to do is make your Slingbox wireless then... give me a bit and I'll see what I come up with.  What model is your Slingbox just so I know exactly what features your Slingbox has?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Super Contributor

I'm not sure of the model number, but it's the first Slingbox ever released.

Elite I

Ok, here is the exact info which will help you get set up: LINK.  You do indeed need a bridge or a SlingLink.

For wireless bridges, I'd look into the Linksys WET54G (see LINK).  The page I linked to even provides suggestions on where you can find it (just click on the Where to Buy button).

For the SlingLink, a Google search should bring up various places to check.

Contributor

Here is what you need:

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slt

Steve

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

There are devices made by both linksys and sling that use your houses power lines to carry the ethernet signal.   Use those.   You can also use a wireless client, also made by linksys.  These are often used by gameboxes.  The wireless client has an ethernet port which you connect to the sling box and it then communicates with the wireless router.   Configuration can be a bit tricky and you may prefer the ethernet over power line solution.