Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Smiley face icon: what is it?

a smiley face icon has appeared on my screen above my application icons (right where you get the email notification icon or the icon that shows you've received/missed a call). i've never seen one of these before and can't figure out what it's trying to tell me, though there is a little number '1' showing right next to it. if anyone can tell me what this is, i'd appreciate the help!

thanks!!

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: Smiley face icon: what is it?

Go to the 'blackberry Messenger Icon'

Someone has sent you an invite to be added to their blackberry instant messenger.

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor

A dumber question.  I don't know where the blackberry messenger icon is.  I have the same problem.  None of my icons say blackberry messenger.  Please help.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Please tell me what theme you are using so I can locate the icon for you.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
New Contributor

Actually I found it in applications.  Now another problem.  When I open the blackberry messenger, I can see it goes to the Contact list page.  But there is a message covering it that says "Please enter your name as you would like others to see it"  with an ok or cancel.  If I hit okay, the message "Your name cannot be empty" comes up.  and if I hit okay there it just goes back to the previous message. So how do I continue please?

Phil

Forums Advisor III

The name can be whatever you want. If I want my friends to see my name as Lorrie that's what I put in or I can put in thepinkprincess if that's how I want my contacts to see me. Basically you just make something up.
New Contributor

Lorrie:

The problem is, is that I don't know how to enter the name.  It won't let me enter it.  Do I have to go somewhere else?

It says "Please enter your name as you would like others to see it." and then there is OK or Cancel.

If I press OK a message comes up and says "Your name cannot be empty"  When I hit OK, it takes me back to "Please enter your name as you would like others to see it."  And keeps going in this loop.

Phil 

Forums Advisor III

I don't mean for this too sound stupid but when you see the screen that says to enter your name is the ok button or the cancel button already highlighted?
New Contributor

I am completely computer illiterate, just so you know. So I will tell you exactly what I see.

When I go to applications and select blackberry messenger the screen comes up;

Contact List

Current Conversations

-none-

then there are some other lines, but they are covered by a box that says "Please enter your name......."

There are OK and Cancel buttons but they are not highlighted.  I can highlight them by scrolling to them.

If I select OK, I get "Your name cannot be empty".  If I select cancel, it sends me back to the Applications menu with Blackberry Messenger, the calculator, Memopad, etc.

Sorry that I'm just not good at this stuff.

Phil

Forums Advisor III

Please don't apologize. We are here to help. When you have the OK button highlighted roll your trackball up ever so slightly. A cursor should appear in the blank space allowing you to type a name in. If this doesn't work let me know what theme you are using. And I will see if I can duplicate the problem.