Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 Smartphone
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

Snycing Blackberry Bold 9700 with Contacts List in Outlook

Hi,

I have just purchased a Bold 9700, and everything is working fine except syncing the contacts from Outlook.

I am also syncing the Calender, which works fine, but when I sync the contacts also, I get the following error message ox80040Fb3

I have the latest software verson of the Blackberry User Tools, and I have tried un-installing and re-installing again, but the same error comes up.

If I only sync the contacts from the phone to Outlook then this works, but I cannot sync both ways or from Outlook to the phone.  My last phone was a Blackberry Pearl, which I had no problems syncing with Outlook.  The Blackberry User Tools Version for the Pearl was Version 4.3, which I re-installed and tried that, but I still got the same error.

I'm thinking it must be a problem with the software on the phone, as the problem didn't happen with my other Blackberry, and it's happening with both versions of software.

I am using Vista Home Premium, with Office XP.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Snycing Blackberry Bold 9700 with Contacts List in Outlook

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

More information please:

BB OS level -- all 4 octets (usually the 3rd line of Options > About)

Full DTM (aka User Tools) version -- can be seen in Add/Remove Programs (again, 4 octets)

Full Outlook version (e.g., 2003, 2007, etc.)

Thanks.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hi,

BB OS Level is:   v5.0.0.351 (platform 5.1.0.98) 3G Bands 1,4,8

Cryptographic Kernel:   v3.8.5.85

Branding Version:  1.0.123.641z

Micro Edition Configuration:  CLDC-1.1

Blackberry User Tools Version:  5.0.1

Outlook Version:  Microsoft Office XP

Hope you can help

Helen47

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Hi again. Thanks. But, there should be 4 octets to the BlackBerry Desktop Software (aka User Tools) version as well. The current version is 5.0.1.28.

In any event, the version of DTM that you have should support Outlook XP...but please make sure you are on 5.0.1.28.

If that still doesn't work, then starting over clean might get it fixed up:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: 3HK

I have the same problem and found an odd way to get around:

Blackberry 9700 +  Desktop Mgr 5.0.1.18

There are a few contacts in Outlook that won't sync into BB --- Desktop Manager simply hangs in the middle of transferring those contacts over.  I had to indentify the problem contacts, and delete them in the Outlook, then the sync WOULD magically work!!!! 

The sync hanging problem seems to be caused by  the problem contacts might have some strange chars (Chinese + some other chars) that BB9700 can NOT handle.   Interestingly enough, I had no problem using the same setting to sync with an old Blackberry 7100  :-((((    

The old model seems to be working better than the new model.  Blackberry 9700 has a serious problem to fix in the international markets.

Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

How did you identify the problem contacts though - I've not got any funny characters, and it worked fine with my Blackberry Pearl?

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: 3HK

Re: Syncing Blackberry Bold 9700 with Contacts List in Outlook

1, While you sync the address book, it goes through the numbers, like 1.2.3......1233 HANG! Then you know it has problem with address 1233.

2, Export the address book from Outlook to Excel, then identify contact 1233 (be careful on which row address starts on Excel --- on mine it starts at row 2), then 1233 contact -> Row 1234.

3,  Delete the contact;  go back to Step 1;

I've had to delete 5 out of around 2000 to make this work.  I can't tell why those 5 did not work --- I have just as many other contacts with Chinese chars. Suspect BB9700 "sees" something we can NOT see. But deletion of those made sync work.

What a pain!

Contributor

Re: Syncing Blackberry Bold 9700 with Contacts List in Outlook

Hi,

Just thought I would reply saying thankyou for the help you have given me.

I have resolved the problem, but slightly differently to the way you did it.

Because I was able to sync my address book from my phone to outlook, I had addresses up to date on the phone (initially outlook had only copied over 2/3rds of my address book from outlook, and I manually added the rest), I decided to delete all my contacts in outlook on my computer.  Then I synced one way from the phone to outlook to get them all back.  Then I synced both ways, and it hung for a while when it got to the last 10 contacts, but then it started again, and copied them all over.

To make doubly sure, I synced again (both ways) but added something to the calendar and the contacts, and it copied everything over.

The only problem I have now is that after I've completed a sync, the time zone on my phone changes so it then throws all the appointments out - but this is rectified when I simply change the time on my phone.  A small price to pay, but I shall now have to look into why this happens.

Anyway, again, many thanks for taking the time Smiley Wink

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: att

This is time consuming but the process works 

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

This worked. thanks!