01-15-2010 07:59 AM
I have just purchased a Bold 9700, and everything is working fine except syncing the contacts from Outlook.
I am also syncing the Calender, which works fine, but when I sync the contacts also, I get the following error message ox80040Fb3
I have the latest software verson of the Blackberry User Tools, and I have tried un-installing and re-installing again, but the same error comes up.
If I only sync the contacts from the phone to Outlook then this works, but I cannot sync both ways or from Outlook to the phone. My last phone was a Blackberry Pearl, which I had no problems syncing with Outlook. The Blackberry User Tools Version for the Pearl was Version 4.3, which I re-installed and tried that, but I still got the same error.
I'm thinking it must be a problem with the software on the phone, as the problem didn't happen with my other Blackberry, and it's happening with both versions of software.
I am using Vista Home Premium, with Office XP. Does anyone have any ideas?
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-15-2010 12:46 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Forums!
More information please:
BB OS level -- all 4 octets (usually the 3rd line of Options > About)
Full DTM (aka User Tools) version -- can be seen in Add/Remove Programs (again, 4 octets)
Full Outlook version (e.g., 2003, 2007, etc.)
01-15-2010 01:58 PM
BB OS Level is: v188.8.131.521 (platform 184.108.40.206) 3G Bands 1,4,8
Cryptographic Kernel: v220.127.116.11
Branding Version: 18.104.22.1681z
Micro Edition Configuration: CLDC-1.1
Blackberry User Tools Version: 5.0.1
Outlook Version: Microsoft Office XP
Hope you can help
01-15-2010 02:19 PM - edited 01-15-2010 02:19 PM
Hi again. Thanks. But, there should be 4 octets to the BlackBerry Desktop Software (aka User Tools) version as well. The current version is 22.214.171.124.
In any event, the version of DTM that you have should support Outlook XP...but please make sure you are on 126.96.36.199.
If that still doesn't work, then starting over clean might get it fixed up:
I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.
1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)
2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:
3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:
4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:
5) Install DTM to your PC
6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package
7) Start the organizer configuration over:
Hopefully that will get things going again.
Good luck and let us know!
01-16-2010 08:21 AM
I have the same problem and found an odd way to get around:
Blackberry 9700 + Desktop Mgr 188.8.131.52
There are a few contacts in Outlook that won't sync into BB --- Desktop Manager simply hangs in the middle of transferring those contacts over. I had to indentify the problem contacts, and delete them in the Outlook, then the sync WOULD magically work!!!!
The sync hanging problem seems to be caused by the problem contacts might have some strange chars (Chinese + some other chars) that BB9700 can NOT handle. Interestingly enough, I had no problem using the same setting to sync with an old Blackberry 7100 :-((((
The old model seems to be working better than the new model. Blackberry 9700 has a serious problem to fix in the international markets.
01-16-2010 08:38 AM
Thanks for your reply.
How did you identify the problem contacts though - I've not got any funny characters, and it worked fine with my Blackberry Pearl?
01-16-2010 09:40 AM
1, While you sync the address book, it goes through the numbers, like 1.2.3......1233 HANG! Then you know it has problem with address 1233.
2, Export the address book from Outlook to Excel, then identify contact 1233 (be careful on which row address starts on Excel --- on mine it starts at row 2), then 1233 contact -> Row 1234.
3, Delete the contact; go back to Step 1;
I've had to delete 5 out of around 2000 to make this work. I can't tell why those 5 did not work --- I have just as many other contacts with Chinese chars. Suspect BB9700 "sees" something we can NOT see. But deletion of those made sync work.
What a pain!
01-16-2010 03:23 PM
Just thought I would reply saying thankyou for the help you have given me.
I have resolved the problem, but slightly differently to the way you did it.
Because I was able to sync my address book from my phone to outlook, I had addresses up to date on the phone (initially outlook had only copied over 2/3rds of my address book from outlook, and I manually added the rest), I decided to delete all my contacts in outlook on my computer. Then I synced one way from the phone to outlook to get them all back. Then I synced both ways, and it hung for a while when it got to the last 10 contacts, but then it started again, and copied them all over.
To make doubly sure, I synced again (both ways) but added something to the calendar and the contacts, and it copied everything over.
The only problem I have now is that after I've completed a sync, the time zone on my phone changes so it then throws all the appointments out - but this is rectified when I simply change the time on my phone. A small price to pay, but I shall now have to look into why this happens.
Anyway, again, many thanks for taking the time