Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

My Device: storm 2
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Software 5 update problem with keyboard lock key

Hi Im bob a master electrician

the lock key is my first problem

Problems

1 Phone won't lock 

2 erased all my recent gps addresses(I use these to bill people when i do service calls)this will cost me a few thousand

3 erased all my facebook info(less of a problem)

4 all calls i make now garble if both people talk

5 all phone settings are gone (key light time tap time )alot of things I don't want to play with now that I threw the instructions away 

If they can do little things like this they are pretty unprofessional and maybe I need a cricket phone

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Hi All,

I have also developed this problem but it is slightly different.

I have a Curve 8900 with os 5.xxx.461 on the UK carrier Orange.

Since i updated recently the lock key, mute key or the A key worked only intermittantly. I then found out that when it did eventually lock the device it automatically unlocked every time it went into the holster.

I went into the options-password and found that it was set to "lock in holster" so i couldn't fathom it.

I tried all of the solutions that have been suggested over the last 6 months to no avail.

Rather than going back to os 4.6 i decided to reload os 5.xxx.461 this solved the problem with the lock key but the device still unlocks in the holster!!!

I like to use the holster because it save the device from being damaged as i am clumsy and i don't want to buy a new cover when i already have one.

If anyone can think of any different solution to what has already been said then i would very much appreciate it.

If not i am thinking of all the others out there with similar problem and hope that RIM bring out a new update soon because the bug is quite annoying.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Keypad lock is just to prevent pocket dialing when not in a holster. When the device goes in the holster it goes to "sleep" and can't dial out. When you pull it from the hokster it comes out of "sleep" and is ready for use. What you are seeing is normal. The "lock when holstered" us for when a password is set on the device. If the device is locked with a password it will NOT unlock when you remove from the holster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Dear John Clark,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply it was very helpful.

I would have clicked on the star but the option won't work in my browser, so you will have to accept my thanks without.

Ta very much.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Wow, I'm cross-eyed trying to figure this out. My 8900, upgraded to 5.0.0.822 will lock the keyboard using the * key but NO combination will unlock it. I've now visited 5 Blackberry forums and have tried every fix suggested by others.

My top two buttons are useless and do absolutely nothing. To use the keypad, I have to use one of three options: pull the battery and wait for the phone to reboot, plug it in to a power source - which unlocks it, or have someone call me. I've set the password option on and off dozens of times testing different ways, but I cannot even get to the login screen to use the password, so that is out.

FINALLY I have a solution but a poor one for my use. The original sleeve that came with the phone is the only remedy I've found. I can lock the phone and insert it, which will prevent butt-calling. Removing it from the sleeve unlocks the device so it can be used. I don't like using the sleeve all the time but that is my only option. I have two belt clip holders by Blackberry but neither will unlock the keyboard.

Just to show how crazy it got discovering this.... I like the longer sleeve that came with my old 8310 and used it with the 8900 in case I dropped it. For some reason, after the upgrade to 822, the old 8310's sleeve allowed butt-calls and would NOT unlock the keyboard. Either the magnet is weak or the Blackberry Gods are messing with me.

I hope this helps someone else out.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

It sounds like there is a hardware problem with your lock key on the top of the device. That key should lock/unlock (with no password) the device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

I think it is a hardware problem too John but the AT&T service techs said they don't WORK on Blackberrys. They REPLACE them......... and they don't have any 8900s left and would LOVE to sell me a 9700!

Guru II

I used to love my 8900 until I got the 9700. Wow. HUGE improvement. You could even go with a 9800 on ATT.

The 8900 is easy to work on and parts are available if you're good at that kind of stuff.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm editing my reply to update my status. All my problems are solved and the Blackberry acts just like I prefer. I bought and installed Beiks Keyboard Locker Pro and it will now lock automatically to whatever time I wish it to or whenever I click the icon. Smiley Happy

I unlock the keyboard by using the * and send key again, just like old times!

I'm good!

My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: bell

Hi

i just updated to the 5.0 ... a little late i know, but my battery on my curve 8530 didn't last me a whole day until i realized about the standby key. now that i have updated it, and as you all have stated , the standby key just puts the phone into lock and no longer standby

so, my question, is will this lock function do the same as standby because the standby mode saved my phone life so that i could use my phone all day, it reduced my batter usage by 75%

help please!!!

thanks