Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Rogers

Software Update for Blackberry Curve 8530

I am using the Curve 8530 which I started using with Rogers not too long ago.  My friend has the same phone and got it the same time but hers has the software v5.0 yet mine still has v4.6.  I want to be able to upload the new software but for some reason I am unable to.  When I try to update it it tells me I already have the latest version, yet I am the only one of my friends with this phone that does not have this new software. If you know anyyything, let me know please!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Software Update for Blackberry Curve 8530

Follow the instructions (follow them exactly, please) in the first post of this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8500-series-discussion-gemini/227085-latest-os-8530-5-0-0-11...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: CURVE 8530
My Carrier: SPRINT

That's one way to do it... you could also do it Over The Air (Options - Advanced - Wireless Update) or you could download the file and install the update via Desktop Manager. One word of caution though... personally I recommend the OS 5.0  .459 update not the .654... There are many posts on many forums detailing why people have issues with .654 (I'm one of them and I downgraded from .654 to .459). Of note, loss of the manual standy feature and changing the keyboard lock methods, and the trade-off of battery life over reception.

You can get the download file starting here and choosing what is applicable to you :

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I do NOT recommend doing the update OTA.  WAY too many problems can be encountered.  Besides, OTA requires your carrier to push it out to you. 

Using DM is the same method but using Loader.exe leaves all the Desktop Manager extra stuff out of the loop.  I've done hundreds and hundreds of OS updates on many devices and the Loader.exe method is, by far,  the best way.  That's why we recommend that method at BBF.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!