Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Software Update

I downloaded the software on my computer and plugged in my phone to update it. The process started about an hour and a half ago, but it has stopped while backing up at my SMS and it doesn't want to continue? Is it safe if I unplug my phone? Please help!!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Software Update

The software warns you about unplugging your phone during an update but if it won't complete the update, you have no other choice.  Don't worry, we've helped countless people who have had to unplug their phone and we can probably help you as well.

Go ahead and unplug your phone.  Once you've done that, remove the battery, plug your phone back in to your PC, open BlackBerry Desktop Software then replace your battery.  You'll probably be prompted to reload your phone's OS.  If you receive this prompt, that's a good thing; go ahead and reload.  If your phone isn't being recognized by BDS, have a look at this article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144

Let us know if that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: N NetCom

Re: Software Update

I don't know, but there seemes to be something with the letter "S" while backing up for the upgrade. I had to delete the Social Feeds app from my phone to do the upgrade, because it froze on that every single time I tried... It froze on SMS too, and it felt like it "almost" froze after deleting the app, but it didn't though...
Strange!

But just keep trying, read how other people got through their upgrades, and I'm sure you'll get it too!