Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

Software or Hardware Fault?

I have a Blackberry Storm 9500. It was originally a Vodaphone BB but I had it unlocked so I can use it with my o2 account.  It has worked fine for about 18 months.  Then one day I used the calculator and despite ensuring the app was closed down the phone developed a problem when I try using the stills or video camera. If I select the camera app the screen remains blank and I get an alert stating  I should close other applications and try opening the camera again. There aren't any other apps open and despite re-formatting and reinstalling the software the problem remains. The shop did install what I suspect was an older version of the software and the camera worked fine.  However, the software was really dated and instead of the screen running up smoothly when thumbing through contacts or messages it would stick.  Once the original software was re-installed this problem was resolved but I was back to having no camera or video camera apps working. perhaps I should think about an upgrade but to be honest I'm quite attached to my Storm and I'm not sure if they still do a BB with a Touch screen.

Your advice would be most welcome.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Software or Hardware Fault?

Hey mikejduk,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

This may be caused by the data being restored to the BlackBerry® smartphone after the software is installed. I would suggest reloading the device software again and test before restoring the backup file.

How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry® Device Software for Windows
http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

If this resolves the issue do a selective restore of essential data (Address Book, Calendar, Task, Memos, BBM contacts etc.)

How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Many thanks for your reply.  I will pass the instructions on to a friend who now has the BB phone.  I have taken the bull by the horns and upgraded to the Torch 5860 and I'm very happy with it.  It's brilliant.

New Contributor

If my friend is unable to figure out the BB instructions for restoring the desktop etc is there an address he can send the phone to, to have it fixed and do you think it would be quite expensive. Unfortunately the phone is out of warranty.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Hey Mikejduk,

Here are the guidelines for out of warranty: http://us.blackberry.com/support/devices/warranty.jsp

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!