Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8830
My Carrier: Verizon

Solution for worn mini-USB port? (charging connection unreliable)

I thought my battery was going bad, but just realized that my mini-USB port is apprently worn. When I plug in either my automobile cigarette lighter charger, or my regular plug-in charger, the charging connection is not reliable. Unless I position everything just right, the charging connection isn't made.

Has anyone else experienced this issue -- and hopefully found a solution for it (short of replacing the whole BlackBerry)?

TIA

Tom 

Solutions: 6,348
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Solution for worn mini-USB port? (charging connection unreliable)

A specialized small electronics repair house in your town might tackle it... takes a bit of soldering in the new one.

It's nothing something I would do myself unless that is your expertise.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I had this same problem, so I started charging through a cradle, which is faster because it connects directly to the battery in back. However, I could never get Desktop Manager to work through the port because of this. Were you able to find a way to replace or fix the part?

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8830

No, never did find a fix. Verizon told me my BBerry was out of warranty, so I just got a replacement.

Where did you find a charging cradle?

New Contributor
My Device: 8800 ver 4.5.0.174 Platform 2.7.0.105 Orange UK
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi Tom, it is a well know problem that the mini USB fails to keep a tight connection with your charger cable, bad design was what the electronics guys said to us when we had our first 8800 usb problem, we have 12 x 8800 devices at our company and 5 of them have failed in this regard, and have been repaired so that it will not happen again, nearly 50% of them failing, so like I say, a known problem, but pretty easy to fix by a good electronics shop !