Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Fido

Some French accents absent in SMS mode

[ Edited ]

I recently acquired a BB Curve 8520.  I live in Montreal... where both French and English are spoken almost interchangeably.  I myself frequently switch from one language to the other when texting or e-mailing, but I've noticed an annoying situation (and with some French words, an accent can change the whole meaning of a sentence!):

Some accented characters (e.g. ç, â, ê) are absent in SMS mode, but exist in e-mail mode.  Does anyone have a workaround/patch for this?

(I did find some posts on crackberry that refer to this odd situation... but didn't find any solutions.)

Thanks to all for your input!

Visitor
My Device: storm
My Carrier: telus

Re: Some French accents absent in SMS mode

I have the same problem with the storm, (only since doing the lastest update though) and today I said enough is enough. I went back to the Telus store where I purchased the phone, and they had not had any complaints about the missing accents.  They called technical at Telus and  Blackberry has been informed of the problem. Now we have to sit back and wait to see if B.B. will actually come out with a fix or update. Living in Montreal and dealing with clients in both languages...as anyone living in the province of Quebec...we need those accents!!!!A.S.A.P.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Claro Argentinaa

[ Edited ]

A few months ago, after upgrading to OS 5.0.0.681, I started noticing this too so I contacted the @BlackBerryHelp Twitter account, concern they replied with obvious "are you sure you know how to pull up an accent ? press the letter and scroll the touchpad."

Today I came across your post and so I sent them the link to this and this time they said "this is by design, it is due to the character set limitation in SMS. thank you. MH" -- Bull**bleep**; every cellphone in Argentina ( including this Curve 8520 before upgrading the OS ) can type latin accents.

And same as before; after letting them know they were wrong again, they did not reply.

iPhone 5; here we come ! Right ?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Fido

I'm a little curious.  Were you able to type *any* latin accent prior to your upgrade?  The reason I ask is that my problem dates back to OS 4.x (I upgraded to 5.0.0.822 recently... no change... still very limited accented characters).

I'll keep monitoring for new posts on this subject.

Highlighted
New Contributor

These are the accents we use in Argentina:

á é í ó ú

And yes; when I was on OS 4.x I was able to type them, until the OS5 switch, which only lets me do the é ( not at all useful since the one we most use/need is the á. )

Visitor
My Device: BB Curve 8520

Does anyone have a workaround/patch for this?

I had the same problem than you, and after considering writing a software that would intercept SMS messages and correct the problem (a solution that would have required me to learn Java, SMS protocols, and to juggle with character encoding systems), I found a solution that only requires you to change the SMS settings in the device's menu. Here is how to do (in French) :

- Press the "BlackBerry" button (the one at the left of the touchpad, that opens the menu).

- Go to "Options" (the icon with a spanner), then SMS.

- The "Codage de données" (data encoding) field should be set at "7 bits", change it to "UCS2".

- Save.

Now you can write all the ç's and ê's you want !

Problem : you should see that now, all your SMS messages are limited to 70 characters, rather than 160. That is normal : the SMS message's body is 1120 bits long, if my math is right ; (1120 bits) / (7 bits/char.) = 160 char., and (1120 bits) / (16 bits/char.) = 70 char. Indeed, the USC-2 encoding system encodes every character with 16 bits (according to Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16/UCS-2 ).

My point being that unlike other devices, the BlackBerry doesn't automatically switch between 7-bits encoding (when there is no odd accents or "cédilles") and USC-2 encoding, when it detects one of them. So if you want to save money, you'll have to repeat the same procedure again and again, which is boring. Unless of course you have no limitation for your SMS messages (exists in France, but expensive).

Sincerely yours,

endreillie

New Contributor

After all sorts of ridiculous responses by BLACKBERRY STAFF, to finally read the solution to this issue by one of our own is ... Delicious.

Thank you so much, Endreillie.

Smiley Wink