Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: bold
My Carrier: telus

Sorting emails on blackberry Bold

Can you put two different emails on a blackberry and have them in seperate accounts? I assume yes, but don;'t know how. I have one email on there now and my wife wants me to add her email as well. the problem is that i already get tons of notifications across the top of my screen with mine... I don't need her notifications as well. can I add her email and somehow set her accont to not show notifications? If so can someone direct me to a link or explain how I can do it... 

thanks so much!!

Guy

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Sorting emails on blackberry Bold

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

By default, all messages (email, SMS, BBM, etc.) are put into the main Messages icon/app. Some prefer this "unified messages" approach, others prefer to separate things. Fortunately, the BB provides the ability to split things out according to your desires.

On older OS levels (e.g., within and less than the OS5 level), there was very little control over this split...basically, just being able to split SMS/MMS out of Messages to an icon of their own (controlled by one of the Options settings within the Messages app). But, with later OS levels, more fine controls were provided:

For BES users, your BES Admin can push a BES-only email icon to your device. This solution is free, but must be conducted at the BES server, and will affect all users on that BES server.

• KB15003 How to create a separate icon on the BlackBerry smartphone for only BlackBerry Enterprise Server messages

If your device OS level (starting within OS5 and above) has the option, you can dictate what shows in Messages:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings) or (Inbox Management)
  • Uncheck what you want to suppress from Messages, enabling a separate icon for those you uncheck

As for notifications, I'm pretty sure that it's a global "Messages" notification rather than specific to account. But, each icon (when you do the above) should have it's own notification star.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: bold
My Carrier: telus

Sorry... all the blackberry language is so confusing for me. What is BES?  I got my new blackberry back in late October 2012... so i am assuming it would be a newer one. So if i understand this correctly? I should be able to add my wife's email account and have it set so I don't get notifications for her emails?

Sorry, phones, computers, electronics are not my thing.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You would know if you had BES, for you'd be part of a corporate environment. Since you don't have that, you can skip that paragraph.

But I have no way to know, from what you've told me, if the paragraph before or after the BES paragraph applies to you...it depends on your OS level on your BB. Basically, if you have the items I listed in the paragraph after BES, then that applies to you (and you have greater control)...but if you do not, then the paragraph before BES applies to you (and you have less control). Again though, since I can't see your device, I can only provide you everything and you must figure out which applies specifically to you. If you can tell me your BB OS level, I can be more specific...but from "a newer one", I have no way to guess.

So, you may or may not be able to have separate icons for each email account...it depends on your OS level, which I do not know.

As for notifications, I believe that they will still be global at the top (under the time), but will also be individual on the actual email account icons (if they can be separate).

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
My Device: Priv, Passport, iPhone 6s
My Carrier: Telus

abayomi10 wrote:

Can you put two different emails on a blackberry and have them in seperate accounts? I assume yes, but don;'t know how. I have one email on there now and my wife wants me to add her email as well. the problem is that i already get tons of notifications across the top of my screen with mine... I don't need her notifications as well. can I add her email and somehow set her accont to not show notifications? If so can someone direct me to a link or explain how I can do it... 

thanks so much!!

Guy

I think this might work for you... 

Go ahead and add the email account to your device. (Don't sync calendar and contacts unless you sepcifically want them.) You will end up with an additional email icon on the homescreen for the new account.

Once it's set up, go to the email account.  Menu > Options > Inbox Management.Under "main message list", uncheck your wife's account.  Tha's it.

Then, when a message arrives, the "new message" splat will show on the email icon for that account, but it shouldn't add an indicator on the notification bar.  Also, the new message will not show up under the email "Messages".

Hope this helps.  Try it and let us know.  ~ecm