Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Space on Memory Card Not Being Used

I have installed a 2GB memory card into my blackberry curve.  Under settings, options, media card - it says total is 1.8GB and free is 1.8GB.  But in the same menu but status instead of media card, it says that I only have 882409 bytes free.  File total says 55443456 bytes.  My messages and calls from my call log are being erased but the status of the media card always says 1.8GB.  This leads me to believe that there is something preventing data to be stored on the card but my bb recognizes the memory available on the card.  Any ideas?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Space on Memory Card Not Being Used

Hi,

You have low free memory left on your device. I usually average around 45 to 46 mgb.

Do you have a lot of third party applications on your BB weather, icall,bbalerts etc?

I do not know your experience level, so if you know this I'm sorry but please read and let me

know if this applies.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory.

Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it. Make sure you use the CLOSE button each time you are done with an application.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=9225#M9225

If you follow these steps and keep up with your memory your phone will operate smoothly.

Please let us know if you need help with any of the steps.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

stacielr wrote:
I have installed a 2GB memory card into my blackberry curve. Under settings, options, media card - it says total is 1.8GB and free is 1.8GB. But in the same menu but status instead of media card, it says that I only have 882409 bytes free. File total says 55443456 bytes. My messages and calls from my call log are being erased but the status of the media card always says 1.8GB. This leads me to believe that there is something preventing data to be stored on the card but my bb recognizes the memory available on the card. Any ideas?
Hello,

the additional memory card is used by your blackberry only to store media files : mp3, videos, pictures, and pictures you take with your camera.

The internal memory is only 64MB (that's the 55443456 you read). It is used for Blackberry matters : the different applications, and for the rest, just hit Menu >> Databases size when you're on that screen.

Some people do not have a memory card, so they store the pictures they take on the internal memory. It is a very bad idea so I suggest you to configure your camera application to store your pictures on the memory card.

Can you copy the databases size, paste it in a mail that you will send to yourself, and paste it on the forum ? We can then further investigate to see what is the problem with the memory issue that eats your old messages.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm closing my old applications as Bifocals has advised but now the screen is stuck on the blackberry logo screen. 

How do I set my blackberry to save media to the card and not the internal memory?

New Contributor

I don't have an option for "memory cleaning" under my security option. 
Guru I

To clear your current condition pull the battery with the device ON,

lease it out for a minute, then replace it, leave the device reboot 1-3 minutes, and you should be operational,

put the following folders on your media card:

blackberry

music

pictures

videos

voicenotes

ringtones.

This corresponds to where the blackberry looks for the files.

You can move your media the simplest way via drag and drop through the Windows file system.

Please let us know if we can help!

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Guru I

Some versions of the operating system have different options. I'm on 4.3 and I have it, others have 4.2 and don't.

More important are the other steps, don't worry about that one!

Thanks,

New Contributor

Ok, i'm feeling really dumb now.  How do you move folders to your media card?  I've only hooked my bb up to my computer once to import my address book from outlook.
Guru I

Hi,

If you were "dumb" you wouldn't ask questions! Smiley Happy We were all new here too!

Simply create the folders on the removable drive like you would on Windows. Remember in effect this is a flash drive!

let me know,

Thanks,

New Contributor

I connected my bb to my computer and opened "My Computer" and selected the blackberry device.  It has all of the folders you mention, but they are all empty.  I have photos on my bb but they do not show in the file manager window of my computer when looking at the contents of the blackberry.