Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Spam Driving me Nuts!

I have done all that I have found or which as been suggested.  Still, my device message box is overflowing each day. I have even done the 'unsubscribe" think on tons of sites. I have reset to very high on the PC.   Anything??

There is this, which has me thinking:  When I sat up the 8310 I obviously set up my main email.  I also set up a Blackberyy.Net email account.  Do I even need this?  As I recall it was suggested in the setup.  Is the spam coming through BB?  Will I still have full access to sms, etc. if I eliminate the BB email?

Smiley Happy  I did search

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Spam Driving me Nuts!

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Which address is the spam coming in on?

What other email are you using beside the BB account?

Just a tip: never unsubscibe from spam. All it does is tell them they have a "live" email account...you will actually receive more!

Please let me know what account the spam is coming in on.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Thh spam seems to come in on my Roadrunner account. - Yet it does not get to my PC - just the 8310

Is it normal for the messages to show up in the email folder AND the messages foler? All I get done is deleating messages.  Got to be a better. way.  Thanks

Guru I

Ok,

So what I'm hearing than is the BB is getting emails that don't show up on your home pc is that right?

Please let me know

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor

Correct - and to make matter worse I get two copies of many emails.

Thanks

Guru I

H!

Do you leave your home pc turned off during the day?

Let me know!

Contributor

I Would say the home pc is at least in standby 90% of the time.

Are we getting anywhere?  Smiley Happy

Guru I

Okay as far as why you get them on the bb but hot on the PC is because you have not set up the option in the readruner account to leave a copy of the message on the server. This means if you PC is in standby, and your BB is on, the BB will get the message and the Roarunner server then removes the message from the server. When you turn on your PC, the messages are not on the server, so you don't get them there. If You want you emails on the PC as well as the BB go to the roadruner email account and Find the option t leave the messages on the server.

As far as the spam issue,. Setup a new Roaddrunner account, you will never get rid of the spam as it is now associated with the account. You will be able to Import your contacts over between accounts and all your old emails. Roadrunner will also send out an email to your contact list telling them of your new email address, and will hold the old account open and forward to you anyone that uses the old address. I my opinion this is your best bet to stop the spam on your account.

The message queue is setup to get all messages. The ones that you are seeing in the Roadrunner email icon are the same ones in your message queue, I find it easier to use the message queue. Then you read and deleted from there,

the emails are deleted from the icon as well. And once you reduce the spam You will have far less traffic to deal with.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

P. S. One final point, and You may know this, so I apologize if you do. I setup a Gmail, yahoo, account when I need it give an email address to a site (Amazon for example) then the spam is sent to it and not to your primary account. Only use your roadrunner account when dealing with contacts and trusted sites.

Contributor

Hey, thanks for the help.  One more thing I need to mention, is that I now seem to get duplicates of email.  For example, I got two of your last message - both on the PC.  This is getting to be a little less than fun.  Also, I have been using my Roadrunner account for so long, I'm not too sure changing it would help much now.  Live and learn.  I may set up ag G account for anything new. OR could I not use my BB email?  Don't even know why I have it, but the setup suggested it.   Again many thanks.  Bob
Guru I

Hi,

The spam is coming in on the roadrunner account, so not using the bb address would not solve that.

You said " One more thing I need to mention, is that I now seem to get duplicates of email.  For example, I got two of your last message - both on the PC"  Duplicates from what service, and I didn't send you an email!

Please explain!