Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-29-2011
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Spilled Soda on Torch

My daughter accidently spilled some soda on my Torch.  The phone was turned on at the time and before i could get the batter out the phone turned off and will not turn back on.  I have the battery out and both battery and phone in a bag of rice.  Am I too late or is there still a chance it will come back?  This happened about an hour ago and the phone and battery have been in the bag for about 20 min.

Elite II
Posts: 8,978
Registered: ‎01-05-2009
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Spilled Soda on Torch

Hey, there's always a chance of a miracle.  Water can usually be dealt with successfully, but as for sticky soda we'll have to see.


The fact that the phone was on is bad; the fact that you put both phone and battery in rice is good.  Here's the crucial part now.......DON'T TOUCH EITHER FOR 4-5 DAYS!!!  It's going to be an uphill battle, but if you can fight the temptation, you might have your phone back in that time.  If you go in early, even just for a quick check on the battery power, your phone is lost forever.



Good luck with it, and please post back in a few days with your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Forums Advisor III
Posts: 1,423
Registered: ‎02-28-2009
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Spilled Soda on Torch

If the soda had flavor, salt, and or sugar in it, most likely there was damage to the phone. You will know after about 5 days in the rice to dry it out.


When water gets in to the circuit board, and there is power applied, the electricity makes like a short circuit action between components. This can cause damage. Also, if I remember right there can be a chemical reaction where perminent conductivity forms in circuit board between the conductors and components. This is not good. If this happened, I would not expect the phone to work. If there is sugar or salt in water, this will stay after the water content has dried. This may be a problem.


My wife accidently left her Blackberry out in the rain on our lawn table. It was powered off at the time. When she brought it in, I removed the battery. I left it burried in a bowl of rice for about 5 days. Lucky for us the phone worked again. But rain water does not contain any sugar, salt, or flavors. Maybe rain water contains some small amounts of dust. 


In your case, you may have to buy a new phone. You will soon know...


Jerry G.




Jerry G.