Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Sprint 8330 Owners: Sending SMS Text while on a call

If you are a Sprint customer with the Curve 8330, you are probably experiencing the problem that you cannot send a text message or reply to a text message while on a voice call. I have contacted Sprint 4 times in the past three months and let them tell it, they have never heard of such a problem.

I can't get their attention alone. If you have had this problem or are experiencing this problem still, please contact Sprint. Call them. Send them an email. If they can see that this is not an isolated problem (which it isn't) they will take notice and find a solution.

It is disappointing to spend this much money on a 'smartphone' and not have it be able to do two tasks simultaneously. My standard Sanyo and Samsung phones were able to do this feature.

I am prepared to contact Sprint for the long haul. I've only had a Curve since January 2009 and since I have a brand new 2-year contract, they have to deal with me that long until I have a solution.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sprint 8330 Owners: Sending SMS Text while on a call

I THINK IF YOU GO INTO OPTIONS, MOBILE NETWORK AND TURN OFF DATA SERVICES AND TURN IT BACK ON THE SMS SEEMS TO WORK.  YOU CAN ALSO TURN IT OFF WHILE ON A PHONE CALL AND SEND AN SMS.  THEN TURN IT BACK ON WHEN YOU NEED TO GET ON THE NET, GET EMAILS, ETC.

[ Edited ]

I've had the same problem on both my old 8330 and new 8330M.  I've been told by Sprint Technical Support Managers that this feature is not supported on the curve, and that it is supported by others.  One was very rude about it and said "does it say anywhere on our website or your printed materials you can send a text while in a call... no it doesn't."  However, their salesman told me you can no problem with the 8330M as I was concerned to get another curve without the ability to send texts while on a call.  The last person I talked to said to pull my battey when it happens and it should fix the problem.  It only happens when I'm on with landlines or other service providers.  If I'm talking to another sprint customer I can always send texts.  I always receive texts no matter who I'm talking to.

I had another service manager open a ticket that I never heard back from.  I have found that turning off the data services seems to work, but it is very annoying when you can use a regular cheap phone and send a text while talking.  If blackberry's media player and push email weren't so great I'd be back to my touch pro right now.  It was slow and locked up a lot but I could always send a text message without the hassle of turning off data services.  FYI - I have found that about 20% of the time when I turn off data services while in a call I drop the call.  

Anyone know if the new Tour can send a text while on the phone?  I was told only the Nextel blackberries can send texts while on the phone by the same rude technical services manager that said it wasn't supported.  They also wouldn't let me exchange my phone for the nextel one, and told me I could send texts while on the phone with the 8330M or I wouldn't have purchased another curve.

I had a Storm on verizon and could always send a text while on the phone, so I don't think it is a blackberry issue.  I disliked the touch screen on the storm, plus had several dropped calls and was paying $30 more a month for only 900 minutes when I can get unlimited with sprint and navigation for $30 less.  That was with my 15% employer discount!!

Message Edited by jnsmith79 on 07-31-2009 11:28 AM

Apparently this is restricted to Sprint users. I have Tmobile and even with my 8110 Pearl I could send and receive sms and mms messages while on the phone. Currently my boyfriend has Sprint and he just bought the 8330 and cant send messges but he can receive while on a voice call. He can't even use his blackberry messenger which is crap!!!

He tried turning the data services off then back on, he had no luck with the text going through.

I had an 8900 with Tmobile and never had a problem with data services. Sprint is usually horrible when it comes to customer service which is very annoying at times especially when you pay for suck high dollar phones. We will be contacting Sprint and complaining.

Actually I have Verizon and both BlackBerry's I have had done this, the World Edition, and now the Curve, it is very annoying...
Highlighted
Visitor

You should be able to send/receive SMS texts while on a voice call if you have Sprint. To resolve your issue, perform the following troubleshooting steps, and after each step test to see if you can send SMS while on a voice call:

1. Powercycle your phone, leaving the battery out for 30 seconds.

2. Call Technical Support and ask them to block your SMS messages, then remove the SMS block. This is called deprovision/reprovision, and it resets your SMS settings on the Sprint network.

3. Backup your phone using BB Desktop Manager, reset your phone to factory defaults, & restore the backed up file to your phone.