Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Sprint BB 8130 - GPS No Longer Works

I have had my Pearl for about 4 months and the GPS worked fine until about 3 weeks ago.  I have tried sending the service books again and try re-installing the maps and nothing seems to work.  I am on version .97, which Sprint doesn't use....could that be an issue?  It worked before I put that on and right after.  I'm thinking it might be a bad phone.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sprint BB 8130 - GPS No Longer Works

[ Edited ]

I'm with Telus Mobility (in Canada) and I'm in the same boat as you. I got my phone in December 2007 and it worked well for a few months at most. But it seemed like the waulity of the signal slowly degraded from the time I bought the phone and I noticed it would take longer and longer to get a signal, until a couple months ago, all I got was "searching for satellites" and that's all I still get. I'm extremely disappointed with it. I called my carrier and they said that RIM said the GPS is only good when:

• there is no cloud coverage (i.e. totally clear sky)
  • you are outside, not in a building (which is obvious)
  • you are not near any mountains or tall buildings (this is getting ridiculous)
  • and they can no longer guarantee the signal from within a car, even if there is a clear line of sight through the windshield

Now is it just me or is that absurd?? What is the point of having a GPS when you cannot use it in 90% of the situations you need it for. ANYWAYS, I tried it on a perfectly clear, sunny day, no cloud coverage is a totally open area outside and I still could not get a signal. My carrier had no solution for me and said I should contact RIM.

Message Edited by atomicrabbit on 06-04-2008 05:37 PM
Message Edited by atomicrabbit on 06-04-2008 05:37 PM