Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Sprint BB 8130 - GPS No Longer Works

I have had my Pearl for about 4 months and the GPS worked fine until about 3 weeks ago.  I have tried sending the service books again and try re-installing the maps and nothing seems to work.  I am on version .97, which Sprint doesn't use....could that be an issue?  It worked before I put that on and right after.  I'm thinking it might be a bad phone.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sprint BB 8130 - GPS No Longer Works

[ Edited ]

I'm with Telus Mobility (in Canada) and I'm in the same boat as you. I got my phone in December 2007 and it worked well for a few months at most. But it seemed like the waulity of the signal slowly degraded from the time I bought the phone and I noticed it would take longer and longer to get a signal, until a couple months ago, all I got was "searching for satellites" and that's all I still get. I'm extremely disappointed with it. I called my carrier and they said that RIM said the GPS is only good when:

• there is no cloud coverage (i.e. totally clear sky)
  • you are outside, not in a building (which is obvious)
  • you are not near any mountains or tall buildings (this is getting ridiculous)
  • and they can no longer guarantee the signal from within a car, even if there is a clear line of sight through the windshield

Now is it just me or is that absurd?? What is the point of having a GPS when you cannot use it in 90% of the situations you need it for. ANYWAYS, I tried it on a perfectly clear, sunny day, no cloud coverage is a totally open area outside and I still could not get a signal. My carrier had no solution for me and said I should contact RIM.

DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR ME?!

Message Edited by atomicrabbit on 06-04-2008 05:37 PM
Message Edited by atomicrabbit on 06-04-2008 05:37 PM