Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Sprint BlackBerry 8830 - Device Software 4.5 Update Not Available?

Hello!

I noticed the BlackBerry 4.5 Device Software Available on the website so, excited - I get home and attempt to update and it states that my software is current. (Yes, I did the Application Loader and Downloaded the Upgrade File ApploaderWebSL-Upgrade.exe) and it checked and stated "Nope, Your're Current" Smiley Happy ok maybe not exactly that way, but you get the point...

What's up with that? Is that software release in Trial? Is it for certain carriers... if so why would they list Changes affecting 8830 Model?

I do work for Sprint myself *(I don't work that high up so I can't credit any bills) Smiley Happy - But I know alot of us are awaiting the software for various reasons... Documents To Go and HTML Email myself...

Any Suggestions or Explanations...

Thanks!

- Sergio

Developer
My Device: 9000

Re: Sprint BlackBerry 8830 - Device Software 4.5 Update Not Available?

[ Edited ]

Sergio wrote:

Hello!

I noticed the BlackBerry 4.5 Device Software Available on the website so, excited - I get home and attempt to update and it states that my software is current. (Yes, I did the Application Loader and Downloaded the Upgrade File ApploaderWebSL-Upgrade.exe) and it checked and stated "Nope, Your're Current" Smiley Happy ok maybe not exactly that way, but you get the point...

What's up with that? Is that software release in Trial? Is it for certain carriers... if so why would they list Changes affecting 8830 Model?

I do work for Sprint myself *(I don't work that high up so I can't credit any bills) Smiley Happy - But I know alot of us are awaiting the software for various reasons... Documents To Go and HTML Email myself...

Any Suggestions or Explanations...

Thanks!

- Sergio

Hi Sergio....

Look for the vendor.xml and remove it or rename it. Then try the update again.

Here is a good link to review...

H.

Message Edited by hmeister on 10-02-2008 10:54 PM
Message Edited by hmeister on 10-02-2008 10:54 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If successful in helping you, please give me kudos in my post.
Please mark the post that solved it for you!
Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister
New Contributor

Hi H!

I did as suggested... I removed the vendor.xml and then looked for OS but when I select Sprint to download the OS it doesn't show 4.5 as available. I then looked for all other CDMA providers (thinking that's the reason to delete Vendor.xml) but no other CDMA provider shows OS 4.5 for Device Software. I then checked AT&T for GSM (though I imagine definitely not recommended) and they don't have 4.5 either? I wonder where the 4.5 Device Software can be found at? - According to the Software Update Information it should be available for the 8830 Model... hmm...

Any other suggestions... ? - And I thank you as well for posting a response so quickly!

- Sergio

New Contributor

H!

I figured it out. With your help regarding the vendor.xml removal - all I needed to do was to find the file - which I did. A question, the version I found is intended for an 8830 CDMA and works perfectly on my Sprint BlackBerry 8830 World Edition... Do you think, or have you heard of it working on a Sprint BlackBerry 8330 Curve or a Sprint BlackBerry 8130 Pearl... I await your response if I don't get to anxious and just try it at the office! Smiley Happy

Thanks Again!

- Sergio 

what did you do sergio???

I want to do this and your last post doesn't explain what you were missing.

If i delete the vendor xml file in the location specified - what is next?!?!?

Can you please be very detailed.

Thanks!!

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

OS 4.5 for the 8830 has not been officially released by any carrier.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: 9000

Sergio wrote:

H!

I figured it out. With your help regarding the vendor.xml removal - all I needed to do was to find the file - which I did. A question, the version I found is intended for an 8830 CDMA and works perfectly on my Sprint BlackBerry 8830 World Edition... Do you think, or have you heard of it working on a Sprint BlackBerry 8330 Curve or a Sprint BlackBerry 8130 Pearl... I await your response if I don't get to anxious and just try it at the office! Smiley Happy

Thanks Again!

- Sergio 

Sergio;

there are versions of 4.5 available for all the phones you have listed. As you have found, the exception is the 8830. There is a version out but it is not a production version.

H.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If successful in helping you, please give me kudos in my post.
Please mark the post that solved it for you!
Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister

EDIT: I have an 8330 but can't get it to update, even when i remove the vendor.xml file

what did you do sergio???

I want to do this and your last post doesn't explain what you were missing.

If i delete the vendor xml file in the location specified - what is next?!?!?

Can you please be very detailed.

Thanks!!

Does anyone have any idea when Sprint plans on releasing OS 4.5 to us?  I can't find anything on Sprint's website or anywhere.

New Contributor

Hi forumsid987,

You are using a BlackBerry Curve correct? Without going into super specifics here is what I did with mine. Of course, Can't really assume responsbility for it you know so good luck! Smiley Happy I did my personal 8830 and understood my risks  Smiley Wink

1. Downloaded the OS for a CDMA Version because a GSM will not work.

2. Make sure you have BlackBerry Desktop Installed (I downloaded Latest)

3. Make sure you backup your information (Even though after the update - It Backed Up and Restored Everything)

4. Run Setup for the Update (Did this without having the device connected)

5. Close All Instances of BlackBerry Desktop

6. Delete the Vendor.xml file located in Program Files/Common/Research In Motion/ (I think AppLoader is the folder)

7. The next time you run BlackBerry Desktop and Connect Your Device - It should find an update for it since Vendor.XML is Deleted.

8. Follow On-Screen Instructions

Hope this helps... Again, Not Supported and All Disclaimers Apply

The version I downloaded from CB Forums... but - I saw an official release for CDMA Versions by US Cellular Only... 

- Sergio