Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 Tip - GPS not finding satellites.

I had the the problem this evening. Curve had the data network but not GPS even though GPS was turned on. Neither Sprint Navigator or BB Maps worked all day. After powering down the unit tonight and turning it back on. I then found I was also losing the network intermittently and the radio was shown as being turned off so I couldn't get the Internet network or GPS. Then, I couldn't get radio to turn on.

I followed all the instructions I found here and had no luck.  Then, I tried what Sprint recommended for a problem I had with the Options application.

From the home screen showing all the application icons, press and hold Alt key and then press LGLG.

Hit the menu button (the one with all the dots on it). You will see the "Event Log" with a list of stuff.

Choose "Clear Log" from the menu.

With the unit still turned on, remove battery, wait a few seconds, reinstall battery.

The unit should power up automatically. As the unit powers up, you will see an hour glass working. Be patient, can take a minute or so.

Everything was working and GPS works better than it did before.

Let me know if this works for you!

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 Tip - GPS not finding satellites.

Thanks for sharing...

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

I am trying your tip.  I purchased a Blackberry Curve specifically for the GPS because I can't find my way around the SoCA freeways and 4 out of 4 times the GPS doesn't work.  Mainly it does not recognize that I am on the freeway and keeps telling me to enter the freeway--even if I have been traveling the freeway for 20 miles or more.  I have had 3 phones since then and all do the same thing.

Of course, then it tells me there is no GPS service and then starts again, off again, on again. 

New Contributor

What is LGLG? I don't see it? I have been having trouble with my GPS for a month now. I just upgraged from the samsung m1 to my BB curve. Sprint told me it was a network problem but I am still having problems.
New Contributor

Ok  I figured that part out now if I can just take this plastic cover of my BB I would be fine to try what you said
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Get Quickpull Tfree app). You won't have to remove the case from your BB.

Quick Pull Application - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to give me these instructions. I have followed your instructions and will let you know what I find. 

A new problem has come up--the GPS thinks I am where I am not.  It shows me off the street I am traveling on. When I brought the phone into the service center the tech took one look at the screen and ordered me another phone.  I am now on my 4th BB. 

After 4 phones in 5 months because of bad GPS service I think there are a lot more people having a lot more trouble with GPS than me.

New Contributor

ok I tried what  you said and so far it works. driving down the turnpike to South FL I had just one time did it really go out and it was an area where it was to be expected to go out and it was for just a second. I ddn't take the battery out after I  cleared the logs though.Thanks
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

I have a Curve 8330 with Telus and they intentionally/unintentionally block the GPS--although it works with their own Telus Navigator software! There is a fix out there, but it can be a little risky if you don't do it right. I managed to fix my phone and now I get a GPS lock in a matter of seconds.

Download the pdf guide to fixing it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MX5BLBMX

Note that I couldn't get it to work until I downgraded to OS 4.5.0.77

I upgraded my OS after applying the fix and it still worked

There is more info on Howardforums: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1490760

I hope this can resolve it for you, just use it with caution!

Cheers

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
My Device: Curve 8330e
My Carrier: Sprint

I know this is an old post, but there is a way to reset your device without pulling the battery and without installing another application...

Press and hold <alt> and right <shift> then press and release <delete>

This key pattern is the same as Quickpull will simulate.