Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Spyware detection and removal?

How do I find out if there is spyware on my Blackberry?  If there is, how do I remove it?
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Spyware detection and removal?

I'm highly doubtful that there's spyware on your BlackBerry.  It's next to impossible to install spyware on your BlackBerry (unless you maybe installed an app that's not legit). 

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi ridehrd and welcome to the forums!

To be honest unless you are part of a BES network, it's really not worth it to infect single user phones.

Here is a knowledgebase article for you to read, it's pretty detailed and I thought it was worthwhile.

Click here: Blackberry smartphones and networks: Malware

I have been on the forums for over a year, I've read over 200K posts and have yet to see one user

with a virus! Smiley Wink

Let us know if you need any other information!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts.  Actually an article in Newsweek got me thinking about this.  Here's the link to the article:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/200878

Since no one has physical access to my Blackberry except me, I was mainly concerned about what my employer (my device is part of an "enterprise solution" at our company) might be doing to monitor me.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

ridehrd wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts.  Actually an article in Newsweek got me thinking about this.  Here's the link to the article:

Since no one has physical access to my Blackberry except me, I was mainly concerned about what my employer (my device is part of an "enterprise solution" at our company) might be doing to monitor me.

ridehrd wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the article from Newsweek!

Here is an excellent article from user Joolie  over on the Port3101 forums.

Click here:What can my BES Admin see on my BlackBerry handheld

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Even with the spyware tools mentioned in that story, someone would have to manually install such an application (although your workplace does have the ability to push applications to your phone via your BES connection, so your workplace could theoretically install such an application without you knowing).

The nice thing with BlackBerry is that all applications installed on your phone get listed in the Applications list (Options > Advanced Options > Applications), so it would be easy enough to see if anything strange was listed there.  Take a look though the list and if you're at all concerned about any of the items listed, do a search for the name of the application, or post it here and we can let you know if it's safe or not.

Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Krypto on 06-28-2009 08:37 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

This link just came through on a security email list to which I subscribe, appears that when there is active participation by the service provider it's not impossible...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/blackberry-spies/

It's happened, at least once.  Horse is out of the barn, time to lock the doors!

New Contributor

I was a member of one of the teams reverse engineering this spyware from Etisalat.  It's important to understand that if it weren't for the fact that the service provider was not prepared for the amount of registration calls it received from the newly installed application, the world never would have known about this threat.  I work for a company that specializes in security products for smartphones, BlackBerry included.  While there may not be an abundance of malware in the wild that affects BlackBerry, it's only a matter of time until the research begins to reveal vulnerabilities that will turn into malware.  To say that BlackBerry's can't get a virus, while it may be true today, is irresponsible when considering that it was only a handful of years ago that the same was being said about Linux or Mac.  Start researching and protecting yourself now.  If you're on this site, you're likely a poweruser of your BlackBerry.  That likely means that whether you are a part of a BES or an individual user, there is sensitive information sitting on your device right now and I can promise you there are people sitting next to you that want to get their hands on it....

New Contributor

Interesting insight, and I'm sure that you're correct!

So what steps should I take now to protect myself? 

My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Rogers

Hello,

In response to your question... the main way to see if your blackberry is being monitored by spyware is when it turns on by itself when you're not using it.  Also, when you use the phone there is a click and when you look at the call log... it shows more than one phone icon (like a conference call). 

My blackberry curve was being monitored by "Trackwary.com".  It is a major violation :-(

I spoke with my provider (ROGERS) and they seem to think it's impossible for anyone to get access into your phone with your PIN unless they have the password too... THEY ARE WRONG!  I know first-hand...

Hope this helps to answer your question...