Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Smartphone 8820
Accepted Solution

Start from scratch?

Hello. You seem a very pleasant and cheerful bunch! I`d like your collective advice if you`ve got a moment. I`m English, over the hill - 80 years old and I must have upset my granddaughter who has presented me with her cast-off Blackberry 8820. It`s a great piece of technology; nice to handle and, obviously has a great deal of potential. Sadly, she has slipped out of the country and, in any case, wouldn`t have the time to tell me what I am asking you.

First: I have downloaded the User Guide, (273 pages), but even following word-by-word instructions nothing seems to come out the way it was intended. A small example; I follow the instructions for e-mail installation, press the correct keys, get to `e-mail Setup and am asked whether I have been provided with an Enterprise Activation password. Pressing the `No` key, and `Next` I am told to continue  with the Wizard. When I go back to the Wizard I am told that I have completed Setup Wizard.

No single item that I commence comes to fruition.

Is it possible that she has given me a worn-out machine? She said she had removed all personal stuff and `unlocked` it. My instinct is, (if it`s possible), is to wipe everything out of the machine and start again downloading all applications from scratch. How and where would I start such a manoeuvre. Is it a logical possibility?

See what I mean by over-the-hill? The brain doesn`t function the way it used to fifty years ago!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Start from scratch?

Hi there!

You can indeed start from scratch. There are a few prerequesites, however...

1) Service Plan -- if you wish the device to enable your personal email (e.g., Yahoo, Gmail, etc.), then you must contact your carrier. The fact that it is offerring you only Enterprise tells me that you don't have what is often called "The Blackberry Data Plan"...a generic data plan does not provide personal email. So, contact your carrier and ensure you have the proper plan.

2) Desktop PC configuration...if you have not yet installed anything to your PC, then skip steps a and b below:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

a) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

b) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

c) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

d) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

e) Install DTM to your PC

f) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

3) Next, follow this process to truly wipe your BB to factory fresh condition:

4) Next, ensure that your BB is properly registered on your carriers network. If you can make/receive calls, then that is a good first step.

5) After that, do these two things:

• Register HRT:
  • Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BBKey (it does not matter which line is current) > Register Now

• Resend Service Books:
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

6) Next, configure your email:

7) Lastlly, configure for tethered USB sync of your non-email organizer data:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

WelcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums browndot!

Looks like sgardne has taken EXCELLENT care of directing you in the right directions!! you will love the BlackBerry and will get the hand of it!  

Glad you are here!! 

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thank you very much, Cathlabnurse, for your kind and welcoming note. Sgardne is indeed a most helpful and able friend. I am most grateful for all the attention my problem has received.
New Contributor

Dear sgardne

I can`t begin to thank you for the trouble you have taken on my behalf; we used to say `Above and beyond the call of duty...`!

Excellent instructions and guidance. I have just completed Task 2, following your words exactly and, so far, no serious holdups. One small thing that does puzzle me - at what point  should I connect my BB to the computer?

Once again, I can`t thank you enough.

kind regards

Browndot

Elite I

browndot - I knew you were in great hands!! 

Smiley Happy

Dear Sdgardne.

I followed your directions and, without a single bleep, arrived with amazing, (to me), success!

Without going over the top I wish there was a more emphatic way of showing my appreciation for your excellent directions; they were concise, straightforward, and extremely age-friendly. So, it is not only a pat on the back from me but, I hope, encouragement to other bewildered hopefuls and, indeed a nod of approval from Blackberry to have such a dedicated exponent of the Blackberry device.

Sincerely

Browndot

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Greetings, Browndot!

I am so sorry that I was off-line and unable to respond to your earlier question while in the midst of the process...but I am so happy that you were able to work through it regardless and complete the steps with success. Yay! It pleases me to no end to know that you are now working successfully. And I do appreciate your thanks to me as well -- and you are most welcome. Most welcome indeed!

Please do bookmark our little forums -- there will come a time in the future when you may need additional help...and these forums are (IMHO) the best place in the universe to obtain help! Like you, I was just someone seeking help late last year...and I've stuck around since, paying it forward (as it were).

Cheers and Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Elite I

way to go sgardne! Browndot - please book mark us and come back and visit and stay a while!!!  We are glad you are here!