Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: No Carrier
Accepted Solution

Stereo Bluetooth Headphones with the Playbook

I tried the other day to connect my Bluetooth stereo headphones to the Playbook....

The headphones connected but did not work....

Does anyone know if the Playbook supports Bluetooth headphones...or has anyone successfully connected stereo Bluetooth headphones to the Playbook...

Any replies are always appreciated...

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: No Carrier

Re: Stereo Bluetooth Headphones with the Playbook

Looks like the answer to my question can be found in this post...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/PlayBook-Bluetooth-car-stereo/td-p/103033...

I guess I should have done a search first...my apologies...

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

I have not yet been able to make the Play Book work with Bluetooth audio devices.  It does work propery with a wired headset of the proper impedance; using the standard 3.5 mm plug.

I found the Sony MDR-XD200 headphones work very well with the Play Book. They are for listening only. They do not have a microphone. The sound quality is very impressive with these headphones. They also work very well with a PC computer, or most any sound system. These headphones are not very expensive.

Sony MDR-XD200 Specs:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=...

When buying headphones for your phone or tablet, it is best to try the store's demo model before purchasing. Some of the phones and tablets will perform better with different headphones. This has to do with impedence matching and the efficiency of the headphones. Some headphones are typically 8 ohms, and up to 80 ohms depending on the model. 

The Sony MDR-XD200 measured 70 ohms when I tested them with an audio impedence load test, as like the spec sheet indicates. These headphones are also very efficient. I also did a frequency response test and found them to be within their published specs. I was surprised at the low cost for their performance. They are also well built for the cost.

I work in media audio and video engineering support, and IT engineering for professional studio production. I am in no way connected to any manufacture of audio, video, or telephone equipment.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook w/ Bold 9900

thanks for the tip. Those look sweet and light on the CC.
V9
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: AT&T

OS 2.0 brings support for bluetooth headphones and presumably other bluetooth audio devices ... had to re-install/listen/detect but the process was trivial ... loving that Blackberry has added this functionality, the previous absence of support for my bluetooth headphones was maybe the only regret i had about buying my playbook

Bravo folks @ Blackberry

Contributor
My Device: Playbook w/ Bold 9900

Thanks for the heads up.  I will try it at lunch to see if it works.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Your Bluetooth audio devices will require their own independant volume control. The Playbook Bluetooth audio level cannot be controled by the Playbook audio level control. The sound is blasting out!

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
V9
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: AT&T

devil's in the details, luckily for me my iluv i222s have their own volume adjustment (as well as track skipping, did i mention i'm lovin' this OS upgrade?) ... def worth knowing about needing independent volume control if you plan on going out and shopping for some accessories for your playbook so we should thank Mr. G for avoiding potential issues