Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: rogers

Stolen BBM

Hi everyone, had a few concerns regarding BBM which hopefully someone can shed a little light on.

The other day , i purchased a new bold 9870....then subsequently had it stolen from my home a few days later. Unfortunately i had neglected to set up neither Blackberry protect,nor did i lock/password protect my phone yet..Smiley Sad i deactivated my service with Rogers immediately after having it stolen.

In the coming days i recieved a huge number of emails from various friends/clients saying i was on bbm sending rude/weird BBM messages to them. This sucked.  I called rogers to see if they had any way of wiping the phone, or any suggestions for me (obviously they were totally useless), also contacted RIM directly (Comparably useless) .

I decided to buy a new blackberry right away , and restore my contact list via email. I noticed this just transfered my BBM account to a new pin.

Am I in the clear on this one now? Also does anyone have suggestions to other BB users who may encounter the same problems in the future?  I would greatly appreciate this considering anyone i've talked to has no idea.

Lock your phones people!

Appreciate any input,

Thanks

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Stolen BBM

Each BBM account is locked to only one device PIN.  If you somehow got your BBM contacts over to your new phone's PIN, then you're in the clear.

As you mentioned, locking your phone is a good idea.  Another good idea, to which you eluded, is to install BlackBerry Protect.  This way, the moment you find your phone gone, you can wipe its contents.

Also one thing you don't want to neglect is to do frequent backups via BlackBerry Desktop Software.  BlackBerry Protect backs up your data but it doesn't back up ALL your data.

So, lock your phone, back up your data with BlackBerry Desktop Software, install BlackBerry Protect and you'll be fine.

Oh, if your phone ever gets misplaced or stolen, make sure you contact your carrier immediately to cancel your SIM card.  That way, nobody else can rack up charges on your account.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.