Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: fido

Stolen phones and Blackberry protect

A week of unfortunate luck many may call it when i had a phone robbery and a theft in less than three days in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada. i had blackberry protect app installed on both phones, yet the software seems to be unable to detect either one of them, perhaps maybe they have been reformatted. i did everything I can allowed by the software online from messaging the phone, locking it, and sending a loud ring. I tried by sending a peer-to-peer message for both, also trying to request the BBM friendship, which one got declined and the other asked me to reinvite the PIN, and now officially neither one is responding. I have reported the instances to the police, and I don't know what else to do. I had high hopes in the APP for atleast trying to tell me where to find my blackberry 9300 which has a GPS, while the blackberry 8520 does not. Where there settings I have been unaware of that would have helped me detect the phone? is there any other possible way to find my phones? 

Although I wish blackberry can directly contact me, if anyone else has any way to help me, I would sincerly appreciate it. I couldn't believe that after having my phone for 2 days that it would be stolen from me, let alone now not being able to detect it after downloading the app again. 

Thank you for your time

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Stolen phones and Blackberry protect

[ Edited ]

Correct on the 8520, no GPS, not location services.

At least should have access to the backup files made to the server if you need to download them.

Likewise, you can at least lock and/or wipe the device.

On the 9300, you should have access to the GPS location, unless, as the warning message reads:

BlackBerry Protect uses GPS to try to find your device's location. If your device is inside a building, underground, or otherwise blocked from receiving a satellite signal, BlackBerry Protect might not be able to locate your device.
BlackBerry Protect cannot locate devices that are turned off or disconnected from the wireless network.

If the SIM has been removed, it is removed from the mobile network.

murtajay wrote:

Although I wish blackberry can directly contact me, if anyone else has any way to help me, I would sincerly appreciate it.

You need to contact your mobile service provider to contact RIM/BlackBerry. This is a user-to-user community based support forum, we are not employed by RIM, but volunteers.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you for the response. i have done everything that you have posted over here, yet as an additional method I decided to contact the phone directly through the peer-to-peer communication and BBM. Whoever has my 8520 did not seem to have been affected by either the lock, the display message, the loud ring, or even the data being deleted. I had the SIM card blocked by the service provider immediately after the incident. I realized this might be the case because I tried to add the bbm pin of the 8520 onto my older blackberry which i use as a backup, and requested my friend do the same as well, and the request was declined. I sent a message through the peer-to-peer text and the messages have been delivered 

On the 9300, I have not been able to detect anything just yet. My friend said that BBM asked him to re-invite the pin and the new invitation has yet to get a response. I requested to add the pin and there was no response either. The peer-to-peer would constantly decline on both of our phones saying that the "service blocked" 

This is why I'm here, I really appreciate your help, but finding that this is happening has shaken me even more knowing my phone is perhaps being used and Blackberry Protect could not detect any changed 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

murtajay wrote:

I had the SIM card blocked by the service provider immediately after the incident. 

Yep, there's your clue. No active SIM in the device = no active BlackBerry Protect.

Sorta like cutting the water pipe into the house, and then when you turn on the faucet... no water. No surprise.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: MTN

I had the same problem after my 9300 got stolen after having it less than 2 weeks. Have not been able to locate the phone nor contact. BB Protect only worth using for the other features it offers, at least in my experience.

Because I got robbed the first thing I did was tried to lock and locate the device. Since I was less than 5minutes from the office I could do so. To my surprise got failed response. I even queued a lock request for next time its connects to network, never executed. Logged on every day at least 3 times a day and still no luck.
Now I only use the application to backup device (incase laptop crash) and lock device when I forget it somewhere. My fiancé just loves it for finding out where I'm at Smiley Sad
New Contributor

hello there, 

Thank you for the responses, but I have a question now- does it have to be MY number that the sim card in the device is? I have yet to accept the idea that such a program would fail to detect that the device is turned on. My Curve 8520 has been turned on- and i know this because whoever has it declined my BBM requests, as well as my friend's... I have tried to readd- but I guess my BB pin was blocked (i'm using now an older curve 8310), the curve 9300 did not respond at all. 

So now I am baffled here, wondering whether it seriously has to be my number... because why would some one who steals a phone not remove the sim card and put their own? its only 10$ to get one anyways.. but I'm not accepting the fact that this happened because I only had my 9300 for two days! Smiley Sad

New Contributor

From my experience using the application I have noticed that whenever the sim is changed the app requests for the BB ID to be completed for it to validate. Not sure whether the application is active before you insert the info. Because it only logs in once you provided that,I don't think it is. Will confirm whether that is the case or not but need to test that theory first. I have used different sim cards in my device and could locate device online. Have not done this without validation that BB Protects requires. Therefore I dont think it needs your sim.
New Contributor

Something u can try is to check whether any back ups has been created since the phone been lost. Because the app has scheduled times to do so. If so you can restore one of your current devices from that and hopefully obtain contact info of the contacts that's been added and maybe even messages that should bring u a step closer to the culprit Smiley Happy If u lucky and that is the case be sure to backup ur device before u restore the info in case any of your info lost.
Just something to consider seeing there not really that many obtions.
New Contributor

If i am lucky to get my phones back.. i sure would back them up... but i cant get a hold of them! Smiley Sad 

if the person reformatted the phone... would it be able to detect the phone even though the program might not be on it.. but my phone is still connected to my BB ID ? I think that the 8520 has been reformatted.. because if the person was able to decline my BBM requests.. the phone must have been turned on... and used.. and my BB protect not showing me something because something was done to the phone Smiley Sad 

My Device: 9300

Hello...

I have just lost my blackberry curve 9300 and i did not install anything on it or back up my info.

is it possible for me to find it?