Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Telus

Storing and running Contacts on Media Card

I have had my BB for about a month.

Yesterday it froze solid and is now out for repair (two to six weeks... we'll see)

I now have a Curve 8530 as a loaner, which will keep me going in the mean time.

I moved the SD card, and up came all my photos, etc.

I'm on the road a lot, so don't spend much time in front of PC, so had never synced my address book (nor have I installed the desktop manager) so now I need to re-enter all my contacts info from scratch (my phone provider moved them from my old phone during purchase... that phone is now gone).

Not wanting to do this twice, I navigated to Contacts - Options - Storage Options and selected 'Media Card' instead of 'Internal Memory' so that they would follow me back to my own phone when it comes back from repair.  I really should have set that option on my own phone in the first place, but didn't know any better... it would have been great if my contact data was portable on the SD card instead of locked inside the dead phone, but live and learn.

"But wait", you're thinking, "MY phone doesn't have that option.  What version of Contacts is that Curve using??" so I'll sadly admit that last paragraph is fictional.  More sadly, the rest of the story is not and I'm now faced with a month of frustration as I reconstruct my contact database before I either get my unfrozen phone back, or worse, get a blank replacement.  At least I can cheer myself up browsing those 200 photos I snapped during the last month, as they were all safely stashed on that 16GB SDhc chip.  My kingdom for those extra few kilobytes of contact info...

Some time in the future I hope that RIM will mandate this option for ALL their applications.  It is great to say that the application data is "securey stored inside the phone" and I understand there are security issues with having data exposed on removable media.  But to not have at least the OPTION of keeping MY data portable is not acceptable.  Provide an admin lock-out for the option for corporate/enterprise customers, sure.  They have the infrastructure for backing up their users' configurations.  But please allow private users like me, who rarely (or never) sync with DM, have more control of where things are stored.

Thoughts?

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Orange Dominicana

Re: Storing and running Contacts on Media Card

[ Edited ]

2-6 weeks to repair a frozen blackberry, Are you kidding me?

I know people that fix dead blackberries in just a couple of hours.

And it's good for you to voice your opinion, sadly RIM does not care.

Security is their 1st concern, and non-portable data is what they think is the most secure.

And not only for data, for everything else. You have to use the phone as they want you to use it.

And they will not give options for you to choose, it's either use the OS as it is or get an iPhone/Android.

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Telus

I know security is king at RIM, indeed it's one of the few remaining niche points for the BB, but as I said I see no enterprise-level issue with allowing the end-user the option of placing more application data on the phone's media card.  The same internal data access protocols would remain in place at the OS level, and Enterprise admins could guard against physical loss of the chip by encrypting SD data or by selecting internal memory when locking down the phone's settings.

If RIM wants to better compete against the iPhones and Androids in the civilian market, then they should be acting on their consumers' complaints, and certainly this one is common on the boards I've searched.

I do accept that this is my own **bleep** fault for not backing up the phone... I'm also pretty sure I could have solved the freeze by cold-booting the phone, but peeling off the seal would have killed the remaining 11 months of my warranty, so instead it's off to the repair depot and I'm left to wonder why I can't mitigate future damage by using the vast capacity of the SD card to store more application data instead of being forced to use the internal memory.

And to hope that somebody in RIM's feature prioritization department is listenning.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Orange Dominicana

[ Edited ]

I know what you mean, I'm completely by your side. RIM is still in the market because it's OS have proven to be the safest so far, otherwise the iOS/Android market would've swalled Blackberry in a second.

I've been looking for that bit of customization that you probably want too, but it seems Blackberry OS is a closed enviroment. It's either "Use it as we made it or get out".

For instance, my personal concern, which most people seem to disagree on:

After 10 fail attempts to enter the correct device password, the phone will wipe all the information including the password itself, leaving a brand new cellphone ready to use. I, as a non-hardcore user, care more about the phone than the information in it, so I would rather the phone not wipe itself and/or have unlimited attempts, so I rest assured noone is using $600 dollar investment.

Yet again, RIM gives me no options. It's either ON or OFF, no middle ground, and sadly it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

So, I guess we're forced to adapt or get an iPhone. I love my Blackberry and will stay with it for a while, but these little details are pushing me away from it.